Hey Does anyone have Modod Yet?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was just wondering what everyone thought of modo if they had it. I'm trying to decide weather or not to buy it or stick with maya.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jjjj Posts: 48member
    Modo is by no means a maya replacement.... if anything it was designed to compliment maya and other 3d packages as it has no animation features and very limited rendering abilities (if any.... I'm not sure yet). Modo is designed as an intuitive modeler for poly's and subdivision surfaces and incorporates many new tools and concepts that should make modeling much quicker and easier. My idea of a perfect 3d "suite" for OSX would be Maya, modo, Maxon Bodypaint for texturing and UV editing and Pixologic Zbrush for some modeling as well as texture, bump map, displacement map generation. Add After Effects or Motion, and there shouldn't be _any_ voids in your toolset.

My advice would be stick with Maya and purchase Bodypaint first. Those 2 apps alone are a killer combination. I'd also suggest trying out Zbrush before considering modo (pixologic offers a demo of Zbrush ver 1.55 for download).... but really it depends on your end product. If you are building poly char's for game development, modo would be an excellent tool.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Hey thanks. I never meant that i was thinking about forgeting Maya altogether, no way not in a million years. I just meant for the modeling capabilities. Thanks though.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    I think the price of Modo is utterly ridiculous! And I refuse to even consider buying it for that reason alone. I am more than happy with maya's modelling capabilities.

iDunno
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Ok I tried Zbrush and i don't like it. How are you supposed to get your models to maya? The features were neat, but the interface was overwelming.