It has a pulse, but its not breathing.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I recently acquired a Dual 1ghz Quicksilver, with everything intact. I purchased it knowing it was non-operational, but hoping I could salvage it with parts I had.

The machine starts up, but the power light goes off, and thats about as far as it gets, no screen flicker, just everything on, and nothing more. I can turn it off by holding the power button (which lights for as long as it is depressed).

I've:

-Replaced the processor with both a QS 733 cpu and a OWC Mercury Extreme cpu

-Put the Dual 1ghz cpu in another working QS, and that QS acted the same way. (power on, no light, no boot)

-Tried different RAM, in different slots

-Replaced video card

-Reset the PMU with power cord detached (held button for 30 sec, ect.)

-Replaced PMU Battery

-Let it sit over night with no PMU Battery

... each thing led to the same result; power up, no light, no boot.

The only things I didn't switch out were the Powersupply, and the logic board. My guess is the logic board, as none of the three processors would work. But since the Dual 1ghz cpu didn't work in a working QS, maybe it is a combo of both?

I don't know, I'm going to have some friends check it out and maybe they can narrow it down. In the mean time, any ideas? Thanks!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    pepsipepsi Posts: 55member
    Did you try the PMU reset button on the motherboard?

I can't remeber excatly where it is but a quick search on Apple's website should show you.

I believe PMU stands for Power Management Unit.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by pepsi

Did you try the PMU reset button on the motherboard?

I can't remeber excatly where it is but a quick search on Apple's website should show you.

I believe PMU stands for Power Management Unit.

Yes, many times. But never within 1 minute of each press.

I've found a good exchange price for the logic board, but my gut is telling me its the logic board AND the processor.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I had to do a full-blown logic-board reset the other night to resurrect my firewire ports. This is done by shutting her down, unplugging it, removing the PRAM battery, waiting for 15 minutes and then hitting the internal reset button. Put it all back together and fire her up. Since the processors caused the same thing to happen in another computer I doubt this will help, but it's something to eliminate before giving up.