A Month with a Mac story

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

I found this interesting story "A Month with a Mac: A Die-Hard PC User's Perspective"

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2232

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by bka77

Hi,

I found this interesting story "A Month with a Mac: A Die-Hard PC User's Perspective"

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2232

nice read, full of intensity
  • Reply 2 of 5
    The article would have been better if the author used the current generation of Power Macs.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I liked it overall although a bit wordy. Me thinks the aurthor found a lot more function in the Mac than he might have anticipated but did a good job of bringing to light a number of issues that need to be addressed...namely how shitty the performance of M$ word is on a Mac. For the love of God can we get past the 3ghz mark this decade?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    It would have been nice if he didn't guy the best Mac system money could buy, and then complain repeatedly about how expensive it was. I mean, duh!

Interesting read, though. Lots of little things about OSX that we might not pick up on, but that are glaring to Windows users, for better or worse... Speed of HTML rendering. MSOffice performance. Multi-app stability. Search performance.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

I liked it overall although a bit wordy. Me thinks the aurthor found a lot more function in the Mac than he might have anticipated but did a good job of bringing to light a number of issues that need to be addressed...namely how shitty the performance of M$ word is on a Mac. For the love of God can we get past the 3ghz mark this decade?

I doubt the lousy performance of MS Office has anything at all to do with the Mac's potential.

I still remember someone benchmarking Office 98 against Office 97 running in VPC on the same machine - and Office 97 was faster! Like all negative reviews of Office, it got "disappeared," but it was long and thorough and damning.

At any rate, any performance problems in Office can safely be laid at the feet of MS. If Apple moves the whole line to fast G5s, the next edition of Office will make up for the speed increase. They always do.