MIDIMAN USB 1X1 MIDI Interface

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all. I have the MIDIMAN 1x1 USB interface device for use with my iBook Dual USB 2001 model. I've been trying to get it to work under Mac OS 9 in conjuction with the software from the now dead company Opcode called OMS. OpenMusicSystem. Finally yesterday I got it to work but then it stopped working after about 30-60 minutes of me getting it to work. When I went to try and configure the OMS settings or even the Quicktime settings it would freeze up EACH AND EVERY TIME! Ive turned off extensions that I think would have caused a conflict but it still did it. Whenever I would try and unplug it it would put my computer into a frenzy. It would go blank and them come back with the message that the "Finder has unexpectedly quit. Please quit all open applications and restart your computer. All unsaved changes will be lost." It would do that endlessly until I force restart it with cmd-ctrl-power.

Now I'm trying to get it to work under Mac OS X.

On the device there are three lights: In order from left to right: 1. a light that always blinks to indicate that its getting power. 2. a light that show the whether its sending any MIDI data OUT. and 3. a third light that shows MIDI IN i.e. when i play a note on my keyboard it light up and then turns of when i lift off of the key. So in other words its: Power Status, MIDI OUT Status, and MIDI IN Status. I have it connected to my iBook now and I'm in Mac OS X and I dont even see it getting any power. I have the OS X driver installed and its still not responding. Any ideas as to how I can get it working under OS 9 and especially 10? I'm now 90% of the time in X. I rarely boot into 9 accept to play the occasional Playstation game and to get optimal performance form my VPC.

All help and suggestions are appreciated. Im not sure if this the right place to post about this but since the 1x1 is hardware I thought I'd give it a shot.

Thanks in advance,

PiBO2k2

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2:

<strong>Hi all. I have the MIDIMAN 1x1 USB interface device for use with my iBook Dual USB 2001 model. I've been trying to get it to work under Mac OS 9 in conjuction with the software from the now dead company Opcode called OMS. OpenMusicSystem. Finally yesterday I got it to work but then it stopped working after about 30-60 minutes of me getting it to work. When I went to try and configure the OMS settings or even the Quicktime settings it would freeze up EACH AND EVERY TIME! Ive turned off extensions that I think would have caused a conflict but it still did it. Whenever I would try and unplug it it would put my computer into a frenzy. It would go blank and them come back with the message that the "Finder has unexpectedly quit. Please quit all open applications and restart your computer. All unsaved changes will be lost." It would do that endlessly until I force restart it with cmd-ctrl-power.

Now I'm trying to get it to work under Mac OS X.

On the device there are three lights: In order from left to right: 1. a light that always blinks to indicate that its getting power. 2. a light that show the whether its sending any MIDI data OUT. and 3. a third light that shows MIDI IN i.e. when i play a note on my keyboard it light up and then turns of when i lift off of the key. So in other words its: Power Status, MIDI OUT Status, and MIDI IN Status. I have it connected to my iBook now and I'm in Mac OS X and I dont even see it getting any power. I have the OS X driver installed and its still not responding. Any ideas as to how I can get it working under OS 9 and especially 10? I'm now 90% of the time in X. I rarely boot into 9 accept to play the occasional Playstation game and to get optimal performance form my VPC.

All help and suggestions are appreciated. Im not sure if this the right place to post about this but since the 1x1 is hardware I thought I'd give it a shot.

Thanks in advance,

PiBO2k2</strong><hr></blockquote>

-_- come on ppl.. i know youve got the same problem. Oh and by the way ive looked into it and I would need Jag because its got OMS code in it.....
  • Reply 2 of 9
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    I have the USB MIDIMAN 2X2 interface. I have a mirror face DP 1 GHz tower running 10.2.1. Everything works perfectly for me, I don't know what to tell you. Look for newer driver software, reinstall the driver software, etc. I use Reason mostly and I've tested a couple midi sequencers and they all see the interface.

Is your midiman plugged directly into a USB port, or is it plugged into a USB hub?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    its plugged directly into my USB port. I dont own a hub. No one can help me get rid of my troubles in OS 9 with it?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    You know I just tried to use OS 9 last night for an "old" music loop program called GrooveMaker 1.2 and it was fine until I tried to add the OS 9 driver for my PowerMate. 9 went south after that. I would say that trying to use 9 for anything anymore is just a big waste of time. IMHO.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Multimedia:

<strong>You know I just tried to use OS 9 last night for an "old" music loop program called GrooveMaker 1.2 and it was fine until I tried to add the OS 9 driver for my PowerMate. 9 went south after that. I would say that trying to use 9 for anything anymore is just a big waste of time. IMHO.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yeah.. im gonna be getting Jag this week hopefully so then i can use it under 10 instead of 9. 10.2 has OMS built in so..
  • Reply 6 of 9
    hey xaqtly! you got the 2x2? ben got the same one...and I ran it just fine under os9.1 using OMS....what software(like music software are you using)that would require the midi sport?

I got it to work with REASON and Absynth....but I wager it work work in any program.

that said, It took my a while to get it to work(a frustrating while)

but using OMS 2.8.3 I assume, open OMS studio patches editor and create a new studio setup It will search for all connected midi devices...then you gotta select the midisport, and it should work...I'm sure its not that easy, and I can't recreate it on my computer(even though it is setup to work on my computer) because I don' have the 2x2 with me......sorry I can't help more, I had a hard time getting it setup....OMS is weird.

use the OMS read-me as well...I think it way something about setting up new studios.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    I use Reason mainly now, but I'm going to get Logic at some point I think. So far in OS X everything works great.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    reason is sick....I am really interested in getting reason 2.0
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ok ppl heres an update: I'VE GOT JAGUAR!!!!! YEAH! now my MIDI and Audio edting programs scream!! There are on problems whatsoever!!!!! Its awesome! Now i tend to never boot into OS 9. Im starting to forget that I still have it installed. lol. Thanx for your help guys.

:-D :-D

Laters.

PiBO2k2