Mail.app and Exchange 2003?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
If anyone has a lot of experience with Mail.app and Exchange Server 2003, I have a few questions for you.

1) What does the "Outlook Web Access Server" field in Mail.app's Accounts pane really do? I have a OWA server, but why do I need to point Mail.app to it? After all, doesn't Mail.app use IMAP and SMTP for email?

2) What is the REAL difference between Mail.app's IMAP and Exchange settings? Other than number 1 above, I see no difference.

3) Why does Mail.app see my Public Folders and stuff on my Exchange server (with both "Exchange" and "IMAP" configs, I tested, both get the same results). Testing the same account with Entourage 2004, I don't see the Public Folders on the Exchange server. I tested it with both Entourage's "Exchange" account (WEB DAV?) and with IMAP. Is there any way to hide the Public Folders from Mail.app users?

4) Can Mail.app use NTLM for authentication? I don't see a way to do so, but Microsoft told me it can be done.

5) When I use Keychain to save my Mail.app Exchange password, it stores it with the name "IIS Support". Even if I don't give Mail.app my OWA Servers address (leave the field blank) it still refers to the password as an IIS password. Huh? But its an IMAP account, right?

6) Is WEBDAV needed to support Mac IMAP mail connections on Exchange 2003?

7) Why doesn't Microsoft or Apple support MAPI on the Mac for Exchange email and calenders? Outlook 2001 and Classic just don't cut it.

8) Are there any Open Source MAPI projects underway for OS X?

9) Has anyone heard rumors of what Mail.app 2.0 will hold for us? What about iCal? Any rumors about tighter Exchange intergration?

10) Is there a good site for nitty-grity info on Mail.app? I cant find much documentation on Mail.app online.

Thanks!