Downloadable standalone installers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello. I'm a novice Mac user who's just purchased a G5 iMac. I also have a Creative Labs MuVo 256MB USB flash drive.

Using my company's T-1 line, I've downloaded the 87MB MacOSXCombo10.3.5.dmg file onto the flash drive, which the iMac recognizes when I plug it into a USB port. But I haven't figured out how to instruct the iMac to read the

file from the flash drive instead of automatically trying to find software updates via the Internet. Maybe I have to copy the file to a subdirectory on the hard drive?

I know it probably has something to do with the way a utility program is set up, but any advice from an experienced user would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zmoh

Hello. I'm a novice Mac user who's just purchased a G5 iMac. I also have a Creative Labs MuVo 256MB USB flash drive.

Using my company's T-1 line, I've downloaded the 87MB MacOSXCombo10.3.5.dmg file onto the flash drive, which the iMac recognizes when I plug it into a USB port. But I haven't figured out how to instruct the iMac to read the

file from the flash drive instead of automatically trying to find software updates via the Internet. Maybe I have to copy the file to a subdirectory on the hard drive?

I know it probably has something to do with the way a utility program is set up, but any advice from an experienced user would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Double-click on the .dmg file to mount it on your Desktop. You may then run the Installer by double-clicking it within the mounted disk image.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    A .dmg file is a compressed disk image, not an installer. If you double-click it, it mounts on the Desktop just like a physical volume. The installer, in this case, is inside the disk image. So, like Mr. Me said, you mount the disk image by double-clicking, and then double-click the installer inside.