Anyone have a Seagate Barracuda V?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Been thinking about replacing my current main drive since I've been having some anomolous behavior lately. The drive is getting fairly old and has been booted at least once a day for the last couple years....

I looked at the Seagate's specs and they're pretty impressive. ATA100, 40GB, 9.0ms, 7200 rpm, and transfer rates approaching 70MB/s.

Given that I have an ATA/66 bus, this might be about the best drive performance I can get since drive specs are usually more like peak numbers than average ones. Meaning I can come close to saturating the drive bus / not worry about drive issues anymore. My current IBM 60GXP does about 39-40MB/s on average, so a boost up to even 55 or 60 should make a big difference with Photoshop and other tasks. It's only $95 - can I go wrong?

Comments?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Yup, I got a cuda4. I chose it because it is one of the quietest drives out there. It works great and I have no problem with it and yes, for ATA 66, any 7200 rpm disks will do just fine.

For cheaper drives, however, check out <a href="http://www.techbargains.com"; target="_blank">Tech Bargains</a>
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I don't think the Barracuda 'V' is out yet, but I've got the Barracuda IV and it is THE best hard drive EVER! I have the 80GB (7200rpm) model for my (silent) iMac. The Maxtor POS that was in it (from Apple) had such an annoying LOUD buzz (think buzzing florescent light) when idle as well as loud access sounds. The Seagate Barracuta makes hardly NO idle noise at all! It also is very quiet when accessing data. Now my silent iMac is truly silent.

[ 10-11-2002: Message edited by: Patchouli ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 12
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Two Seagate Barracudas and there are the best Hard Drives I have ever owned.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    The Barracuda V is not out yet, I'm pretty sure.

It is a Serial ATA (SATA) drive.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Hmm. Well according to CDW it's an ATA/100 drive and it's available.

<a href="http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=418349"; target="_blank">http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=418349</a>;

Is EIDE Ultra ATA the same as Serial ATA? Maybe I should get a Cuda IV to be safe / save a few bucks? I've read some reviews though, that would indicate the CIV is not as fast as competing WD Caviar drives (which surprises me). The testimonials at XLR8 for this drive aren't tool helpful though.

For some reason hard drives reports no longer come with the benchmark scores Mike used to request with each review. There are no data specs at all. I need to know this thing will move several extra MB/s before I'll buy it - "real quiet" doesn't cut it for someone on my budget.

I did check out storagereview, which is where I got the above info (about the Caviar (800JB) performance).

[ 10-12-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 12
    The ATA100 cuda V is out, the serial ATA is due soon.

Ive got an 80gb IV and like it, Ive had good experiences with Seagate drives, Ive got 4 at the moment, from an ancient 135mb up, and they all run well.

The cuda IV's are not the fastest drives around, but I think they are the best balance of speed and noise.

They all run pretty hot though.

The WD's are faster as are IBM's, but Im no big fan of either.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I have a 60GXP that's done really well for me (fast and very quiet). If not the 'Cuda V, I wonder if their new 120GXP would be a good move.

I'm surprised the Seagate's aren't faster than the IBM's. given they both have 2MB buffers. Either way, I can't find any benchmarks for any of these drives as far as sustained transfer rates.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I havent seen any benchmarks for the cuda V yet.

The cuda IV can do something like 40+ MB/s sustained, which is plenty fast enough for me.

I dont like IBM drives because they come with the "Dont run 24/7" proviso
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Yeah. The other thing is Seagate is really shifty when it comes to their drives' specs. Almost NONE of them list sustained transfer rates, which I find to be pretty weak. Makes me think the rest of their claims are over-inflated.

Basically, my current drive does around 39 MB/s and it's over a year old...if one of these drives can't be shown to move data at a steady 44+ MB/s, there's really not much point to upgrading. Wish they would just come clean and publish the data rates....

[ 10-14-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 12
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    See <a href="http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1540.11/"; target="_blank">Hardware Analysis conclusion page</a> for a detailed analysis-comparison-benchmark of the major retail HDs.

[quote]If you?re however looking for a harddisk that offers an impressive combination of performance and low noise then look no further than Seagate?s ST380021A Barracuda IV, it really is an engineering marvel that combines the best of both worlds <hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I think I'm going to go with the 120GXP. It can't be any louder than my 60GXP - and I don't even notice it running 99% of the time.

Thanks for that link btw - that's a pretty good one.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I have 2 Cuda IVs - they replaced 2 IBM 75GXPs (I had 4 failures in under a year with that model drive - beware!).

I ended up getting the Seagate drives because they were supposed to be the quietest out there, they have acceptable benchmarks (not highest, but not low either), and Seagate is known for their reliability.

Once bitten, twice shy. I am extremely happy with these drives.