Splitting Cable not hairs

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Good morning,

What I have here is an interesting problem that at one time I solved for my self but now, with the passage of time, have forgotten the true solution to. At one point way back in the days of beige G3s I had Cable for both TV and internet. I had to split the cable before the modem so I could plug in my TV. I remember I had to get a splitter that Filtered the signal to the TV. So my question is what do I tell the fine folks at Radio Shack? What are these MHZ? or is this just not possible anymore?

flick.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Unless your cable internet/TV is different than most, you can simply use a good quality coaxial splitter. There's nothing special about it (not sure what you're referring to as being "filtered"). I used to have to do this in my apartment because the cableco wouldn't install a second outlet for cable Internet.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    regreg Posts: 832member
    It depends on your cable provider. My parents have cox and they use to have two coax's coming in for their cable. When they got internet they had to split both coax's. One set then went to the TV for cableTV programming. They had to use the other low channel for the cable internet and the other coax had to have a 75 ohm terminator. For single coax cable almost any splitter will work. On mine it is a 5 - 600Mhz splitter, this is the regular splitter that you get at Radio Shack. For best operation have the splitter as close as you can to where the cable enters the house. The TV section does not require a filter. They are to block out channels like HBO, Showtime etc.

reg