Cherry OS

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've just seen on macbytes.com a link to a brand new emulator that allows you to emulate a G4 on PC hardware. I've never heard anything about this program until now. Just wondered if anyone's bought a copy and tried it yet?



http://www.cherryos.com

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ic1male

    I've just seen on macbytes.com a link to a brand new emulator that allows you to emulate a G4 on PC hardware. I've never heard anything about this program until now. Just wondered if anyone's bought a copy and tried it yet?



    http://www.cherryos.com




    I'll be shocked if they actually have anything sell.



    I'll be even more shocked if it isn't just an illegally wrapped copy of PearPC.



    Scam meters are at 11 over this one.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    pbpb Posts: 4,234member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Kickaha



    I'll be even more shocked if it isn't just an illegally wrapped copy of PearPC.



    Scam meters are at 11 over this one.






    When clicking the link above, I receive a "Server Error in '/' Application. Server Too Busy" message. Too busy with sales I guess .
  • Reply 3 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    It hit slashdot.



    Slashdot hit back.



    But it's bad when they can't even get the error messages right... and their server is apparently running IIS in debug mode with .NET extensions on. I give them an hour before they're hacked hard.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Kickaha

    I'll be shocked if they actually have anything sell.



    I'll be even more shocked if it isn't just an illegally wrapped copy of PearPC.



    Scam meters are at 11 over this one.




    If it is authentic then I plan to get it. But I am wondering if it is a scam too. I'm going to wait for a few people to purchase it before I grab a copy (and I plan to make the purchase with a credit card number that will only work for that one transaction).



    When I read the specs on the site (which was before their site became inundated with traffic) it looked to have quite a few features that PearPC did not. I am fairly content with PairPC (I only use it to test how certain websites will render in Safari) but CherryOS is worth examining.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

    Originally posted by alcedes

    If it is authentic then I plan to get it. But I am wondering if it is a scam too. I'm going to wait for a few people to purchase it before I grab a copy (and I plan to make the purchase with a credit card number that will only work for that one transaction).



    When I read the specs on the site (which was before their site became inundated with traffic) it looked to have quite a few features that PearPC did not. I am fairly content with PairPC (I only use it to test how certain websites will render in Safari) but CherryOS is worth examining.




    CherryOS: 1

    alcedes: 0
  • Reply 6 of 12
    the evidence weights heavily against CherryOS. In addition, his 80% performance of a G4 translate to:



    "For example a 3.2ghz P4 would run as fast as a 800 MHz G4 machine." - cherryos.com
  • Reply 7 of 12
    General Mills should sue the bastards. CherryOS sounds too close to Cheerios to me.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I just went to http://www.cherryos.com and their site is gone. I can't even pull up an IP address for it.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

    Originally posted by alcedes

    I just went to http://www.cherryos.com and their site is gone. I can't even pull up an IP address for it.



    It's down...permanently. It was a hoax. It's over. This thread can die now.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl...&tid=179&tid=3



    *superiority dance*



    Twas just indeed PearPC repackaged.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Kickaha

    http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl...&tid=179&tid=3



    *superiority dance*



    Twas just indeed PearPC repackaged.




    What did that page say? I get the 404 when I go there (page not found)
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

    Originally posted by alcedes

    What did that page say? I get the 404 when I go there (page not found)



    It basically said CherryOS was a total ripoff of code from PearPC.
Sign In or Register to comment.