Airport express

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I listen to a classical music station on the web that streams to iTunes on my new wireless laptop from an older airport base station (not extreme)

I bought an Airport express hoping to get the music wirelessly onto my stereo by plugging my express into the stereo.

I can listen to music that I downloaded to my computer that way, but not the station that is coming from the base station.

If I buy a new Airport Extreme base station can I do it? Can it be done easily?

To summarize: What I want to do is listen to music from the web wirelessly with my Airport Express.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    You can make the Airport Express a client on the network and then stream (using AirTunes) from your notebook. I do this presently with my desktop PC, my PC notebook, and my iBook. Works perfectly!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

You can make the Airport Express a client on the network and then stream (using AirTunes) from your notebook. I do this presently with my desktop PC, my PC notebook, and my iBook. Works perfectly!

Must I purchase a Extreme Base station for this to work or can I make the Express a client on the network using the older base station?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    I think you can make the express a client of any network - but it'll only extend the range of an Extreme network.

Why don't you plug your internet connection into the express? That'd also work...

Amorya