Portable Audio Recording Device

4fx4fx
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am looking into getting a portable audio recording device for digital video and vocal recordings, etc.

I was originally looking into Sony's new MiniDisc offerings, but then was disturbed to find out that you cannot export the digital files out of Sony's proprietary format.

Another option would be DAT, but I would rather not get into the complexities and expense of having to purchase audio capture cards, software, etc.

I finally came across the Marantz PMD670 and the Fostex FR-2 and very much like the concept, but am not too sure about both the size of the units and their dependency on Compact Flash drives. The advantage of drag and drop capable digital audio files and the ability to capture 48khz PCM audio is rather impressive though. However, it would still be nice to have a format that could be archived, like MiniDisc or DAT (Sony's MiniDisc option would have provided both of these capabilities if not for its stupid DRM).

At any rate, Im not sure which direction I should be headed. If there were an iPod-like hard drive based device that could record 16bit 48khz audio, I would definately be interested. I suppose I could always just burn the audio files to CD for archival purposes...

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    How portable do you need it? Why not get a 12" PB or iBook? This would let you record for hours and hours (till the HD was filled). Since the audio is already on your HD you can quickly edit the files, compress them with iTunes, burn audio CDs, burn backups to DVDs (or save backups to an external HD), etc. I used to record on MDs and gave that up years ago when iTunes came out.

If cost is an issue you could look for a used PB or iBook. If it doesn't have audio in you could get a Griffin iMic (USB input). I've used one for years on a PB successfully.

There are a number of applications that will let you record, edit and process your audio on a Mac ranging from free to quite expensive.