can I create an invisible user?

zozo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
for privacy concerns, I was wondering if its possible to make a hidden user. That wont show up in the login screen at boot up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    The root user is invisible, I think. Of course, root has a lot of power, so that might not be your intention. Otherwise, I'd say your answer lies in NetInfo manager. I'm inclined to say that it's definitely possible, since I have several invisible users on my machine, set up for things like mysql, etc. I'm not sure if they can log in, and as far as I know they don't have user folders.

But NetInfo Manager can do what you need to do. You might want to familiarize yourself with it.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Yes, if you set the user's UID to anything under 500, the user won't appear on the log-in screen. You can still see their home folder, though, so if you really don't want anyone to know they're there, you might also want to create a new hidden directory somewhere (any directory whose name starts with "." is hidden) and make that the invisible user's new home folder. One good place to do that is somewhere in the already-hidden UNIX directories, like /usr or /private or /etc.

Check out this Hint and the associated comments for more details.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Thanks guys.

Was thinking of making a user with that File Vault turned on, hidden, etc. I'm feeling paranoid lately.

Must be the crapy weather thats starting here
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Thanks guys.

Was thinking of making a user with that File Vault turned on, hidden, etc. I'm feeling paranoid lately.

just because you are paranoid doesn't mean you are not being

followed, hear that?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    People won't be able to see your files even if your user id is visible, unless they have root privileges (sudo). If you turn on File-Vault, you should be pretty ok.

If someone else has root permissions, you can't safe guard your data.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Thanks guys.

you're not paranoid if they really are out to get you!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    if I make a user invisible, sure, people on the computer or network wont see it, but I'm thinking that if someone were to physically take out my HD and scan it, they could eventually find the invisible user and all associated files. If I make a user invisible AND FileVaulted, they would probably see jibberish on a UNIX and PC and only find a 128bit encrypted image if using a Mac

Or am I too optimistic?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    btw, found this post at OSX Hints. Works best methinks... (so far at least)

Quote:

So in the end, with help of the http://www.bombich.com website and gatorparrots tip i came to the following construction (actually on Tiger..)

--> user folder to other place (Terminal):

sudo ditto -rsrcFork /Users/SecretUser /private/var/.SecretUser

sudo niutil -createprop / /users/secretuser home /private/var/.SecretUser

--> gif SecretUser uid 499, so it will be invisible to the finder (Terminal):

sudo niutil -createprop . /users/secretuser uid 499

sudo chown -R 499 /private/var/.SecretUser

--> Testing transport of user:

- arrow down

- hit "option-return" en log in

--> if it all works remove the old SecretUser folder (Terminal):

sudo rm -rf /Users/SecretUser

This all works great for me!

Good luck!