Tips for a new Switcher?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Duh! Tab does do what you want in Mail when you have full keyboard access on, but it is mainly used to move within a document or form. For example, when I press tab on this page, it takes around to all the buttons, links and fields on this page, but does not bring you to the toolbar items or menus. I'm not sure Windows works that way either though. It would seem annoying to have to go through all the menus, buttons, palette items and items in the page to get to what you want.
  • Reply 62 of 79
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Duh! Tab does do what you want in Mail when you have full keyboard access on, but it is mainly used to move within a document or form. For example, when I press tab on this page, it takes around to all the buttons, links and fields on this page, but does not bring you to the toolbar items or menus. I'm not sure Windows works that way either though. It would seem annoying to have to go through all the menus, buttons, palette items and items in the page to get to what you want.

Hm.. it seems full keyboard use was not on for some reason, even though I am sure I enabled it and I'm equally sure I have never had a reason to disable it. Most of the stuff works now. Do you know how to

- access the "toolbar" like they have in Safari's Preferences and System Preferences

- change window's size

- move a window?

I find the keyboard is usually the fastest way to do things, if the OS and program let you. Besides, unless there is a way to reach everything via keyboard, that's one more hardware requirement - the computer, then, always has to have a mouse in working condition. On Windows I have no problem sticking with just the keyboard, if the batteries of the mouse run out, or I otherwise feel like it. On OS X, I'm not convinced all can be done in the first place, and in a lot of instances it is very slow and cumbersome (like when you need something from a menu).

Firefox 1.0PR has lousy keyboard use as well. No tabbing to anything besides textboxes. If Safari had an equivalent of Quick Searches, I guess I'd be using it, because it seems to have keyboard shortcut business down pat. I'm hoping for a great experience once Firefox goes 1.0 for good on OS X.
  • Reply 63 of 79
    Yeah, there is quite a long process of discovery with OS X. Again, the entire system is drag and drop.

Take a web image when using Safari, and drag it into a TextEdit document, or even an email. For that matter take any MS Word text, highlight it, then drag it into another document. Of course the dock is drag and drop as well. Drop a document onto the Dock Icon to open it up with that App.

Email addresses are drag and drop in each message , so you can move then around TO, CC, BCC right on the screen.

Take any photo, drag it into an entry in Address Book, and drop it in -- you can resize it right there. You can also drag out an Address Book card, drop it into an email, and the other mac user can simply double click it to enter it in.

In Address Book, next to a phone number hold the mouse button down on the type (home, mobile, pager, other, etc.) It will show the option for "Large Type"

There is a simple terminal script to make Quicktime full screen without purchasing the Pro edition. Maybe Google will yield it.

Read all .pdf's with Preview. It's missing some functionality compared to Acrobat, but very fast searches and scrolling.

Use Image Capture application (already in Applications folder) to manipulate your digital camera, extracting movies for example, instead of the camera's software.
  • Reply 64 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by nickhuober

EDIT: One more thing that's better on the PC is that when a dialog box pops up (For example, "Do you want to save the changes you made to this document?") on PC you can use the right and left arrow keys to switch between the option (for example: Yes, No, Cancel) and never have to use your mouse if you want to use a choice other than the one that is highlighted (for example if "Yes" is highlighted, you could just press the left arrow once and then hit the enter key to select "No," this is faster than having to pick up your mouse and move it to the correct choice, if it is not the one highlighted).

Try using keyboard shortcuts - the key corresponding to the first letter in the button's label. This behavior is not really documented, nor is it totally consistent from one app to another (although all are universal with return or enter for the default choice, and esc for Cancel).

For example, when I close an unsaved document, I often want to issue the command represented by the Don't Save button. On some apps, I just have to hit the letter D on the keyboard. On other apps, I have to hit command-D. Either way, I very seldom have to use the mouse to respond to a dialog box.
  • Reply 65 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by UnixMac

I love how you can drag a file (say a text file, pdf) directly into the terminal it will give you it's location in the unix file structure.

another wow blow

The little icon left to any title in the titlebar at any docwindow, -

? click it

? hold the click

? drag it

- literally wherever you want ... you want to attach it to a new email message? Just drag the little thing to the docked mail icon...

Btw, talking about titlebars, just in case nobody knows, you can click onto the titlebar while holding the CMD key. The entire path of the particular document appears. Move the curser to the desired entry, the folder will pop up immediately, there you go.

have a nice sunday
  • Reply 66 of 79
    ic1maleic1male Posts: 121member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

another wow blow

Btw, talking about titlebars, just in case nobody knows, you can click onto the titlebar while holding the CMD key. The entire path of the particular document appears. Move the curser to the desired entry, the folder will pop up immediately, there you go.

have a nice sunday

Marvellous, Barbara! I was wondering how I could quickly display the whole path of a directory in Finder. That has made my day.
  • Reply 67 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by ic1male

Marvellous, Barbara! I was wondering how I could quickly display the whole path of a directory in Finder. That has made my day.

Welcome

As someone said before - a good recommendation for all new mac users might be: Ask yourself how i'd accomplish this and that action/task?

MacOs X will help you out

Try clicking while holding CMD key ALT key or CTRL key, sometimes there are nice offers, sometimes you even thought about, - but once discovered you can't live without anymore

best
  • Reply 68 of 79
    TIP!

For instance, i do use an "old" iMac CRT which is not being capable of burning CDs - and a Superdrive PB.

If i want to backup files of my iMac i just put in a CDR into my PB, then i mount the CDR onto my iMac, drag an' drop files onto the CDR Volume, - toast, there you go

Er... did i mention "wireless"?

best
  • Reply 69 of 79
    Wow!!! Oh wow!!

Im sitting here, pressing F10 and suddenly my finger drops upon tab.

That's impressive And strangely expected, a la alt-tab style...
  • Reply 70 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

Wow!!! Oh wow!!

Im sitting here, pressing F10 and suddenly my finger drops upon tab.

That's impressive And strangely expected, a la alt-tab style...

Do this while you hold the shift key...
  • Reply 71 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Do this while you hold the shift key...

It goes backwards?

I guess that is useful!
  • Reply 72 of 79
    Whee! Missed the whole second page thingy and replied Sorry.

tomppu
  • Reply 73 of 79
    Hey! Ok, I have been using the MAC for a little while now and thought I would post my updated list of what is like better on a mac and what I like better on a PC.

Before I post my list, though, I'd like to say although I am very happy I made the switch I think MAC could probably do more to appeal to PC users. I have one friend who also recently made the switch, who is not as happy as I am.

He called up MAC about helping him transfer files over from his PC and they said they do not support that at all. Well, I don't care how great the machine is, I could understand that, having just spent $3,000 for a top-of-the line iMac and he couldn't even load files onto it, he was somewhat upset.

Just imagine having been used to one computer platform for so long and now switching over. It's a big thing and I think there are some things that MAC could do to help PC users adjust easier. It's very frustrating when something so simple (like hitting the "delete" key, for example) is all of a sudden gone. It's a little thing, but for something you are so used to that it is a HUGE adjustment and tampers your productivity and slows you down. Keep in mind that I doubt most PC users would be savy enough to figure out to hit "command+delete". If I hadn't found this forum, I would still be selecting the item and going to the menu bar and clicking "delete."

Although that's a minor thing... there are many more things like that and I can see how a PC user would quickly get discouraged. Another example is that the default mouse track speed is so much slower on a MAC. I though for the longest time that something was "harder, slower" but couldn't pinpoint it. Only after logging onto this forum did I get the idea to adjust the speed at which the pointer moves... I'm sure that longtime MAC users can't imagine what that is like, but it was a bit frustrating and I can see how someone with less patience than I would quickly get upset.

I know another, lady who also bought a 12" poerbook. She is not exactly computer-savy, but she knew her way around a PC. Being a busy professional, she never had the time to sit down and learn everything that was new, so she gave it away and bought herself a drit-cheap Dell laptop instead.

Anyhow... moving on, here's my continued list:

Better on MAC:

-The serial number of the computer is much easier to access than on any PC I have ever owned.

-Software Update is much less intrusive. On the PC you seem to have something popping up every five minutes asking you to update this and that... and then not going away when you already told it not to update it.

-The online support is much better than from any PC company I have ever used.

-You can hit the space bar to pause/start and pause songs in iTunes and Quicktime, you can't do that in Windows Media Player.

-You can search right in a folder. I've never actually had to use this feature... but I think it's pretty cool.

-The screen is much crsiper and brighter than on any laptop I can remember using.

-You can change ID3 tags for a song while it is playing.

-Being able to navigate a folder by dragging it onto the dock and hol-clicking it.

-Volume and Brightness are so much easier to adjust!

-Coming out of sleep mode is soooo much faster.

-Overall, iTunes, Mail, Address Book, iMovie are just much, much better programs than anything that comes standard on a PC.

-The computer just seems more robust. It really does.

-Mosty importantly, there is that "cool" factor that only comes with owning a MAC. It's priceless...

Better on PC:

-You can hit "Enter" when a file is selected to open it. This way you can easily scroll trough files in a folder with just one finger, whereas with MAC you need to hit "command+enter." Again, just a little nusaunce (sp?) that seems like a step back when you are used to just using one finger to navigate a folder.

-It's much easier to set one application to be associated with a certain file format. For example, on MAC I seem to need to tell the OS with every single PDF file that I want Preview to open the file, not Acrobat. Whereas on a PC, I can just tell Windows once that I want a certain file type associated with a program.

-You can right click on a folder to create a new file in the folder. This saves you several steps (opening the program, creating a new file, saving the file, etc.)

-Previewing JPG and GIF images in a folder is much easier. Windows will display thumbnails of the images. This is much easier when you are attaching images to an e-mail, for example. You can see the images right in the window to attach them. In MAC, I have to open up the folder in which the image is and open it up in Preview to make sure I am attaching the right image.

-You can delete, copy and paste folders and files in the dialog box format of explorer. For example, in Word if I created a document and decide to save it, I can delete a file if I realize I don't need it, create a new folder and move files into it and save my file all in the window that is asking me where I want to save the file. This is very useful.

-OK, and I have to say, that any switcher I have every talked to MISSES THE RIGHT CLICK. I don't care what Steve Jobs says, if you really want to have happy siwtchers, you are going to have to make some compromises. It's a huge step back for us. It reduces productivity, when you are used to something (so used that you don't even think about it) and all of a sudden it's gone. It is something missing and it sucks. I know that you can "control+click," but often the right-click menus aren't as developed. You have to understand that many of us have been used to having a right-click our entire computer lives and it's just very odd and sometime frustrating without it.

-When you resize a folder window, the contents of the folder automatically adjust to the new size of the folder.
  • Reply 74 of 79
    Sorry... not only did I write a very Loooooong post, I posed it twice on accident, so I'm just deleting it.
  • Reply 75 of 79
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

-It's much easier to set one application to be associated with a certain file format. For example, on MAC I seem to need to tell the OS with every single PDF file that I want Preview to open the file, not Acrobat. Whereas on a PC, I can just tell Windows once that I want a certain file type associated with a program.

I assume you're right-clicking and selecting Open With... ? Hold down the option key as well, and it changes to Always Open With... You can also do a Get Info on the file (Cmd-I, or you can find it in the File menu), and set it there once and for all as well.

Quote:

-You can right click on a folder to create a new file in the folder. This saves you several steps (opening the program, creating a new file, saving the file, etc.)

Since I've never used this or seen it used it outside of creating Office documents... can you actually use it to create non-MS documents?

Quote:

-Previewing JPG and GIF images in a folder is much easier. Windows will display thumbnails of the images. This is much easier when you are attaching images to an e-mail, for example. You can see the images right in the window to attach them. In MAC, I have to open up the folder in which the image is and open it up in Preview to make sure I am attaching the right image.

In Icon View, go to the View menu and select Show View Options... and check the 'Show Icon Preview' box. Voila.

Quote:

-You can delete, copy and paste folders and files in the dialog box format of explorer. For example, in Word if I created a document and decide to save it, I can delete a file if I realize I don't need it, create a new folder and move files into it and save my file all in the window that is asking me where I want to save the file. This is very useful.

Yeah, all you can do in Mac dialogs is make new folders.

Quote:

-OK, and I have to say, that any switcher I have every talked to MISSES THE RIGHT CLICK. I don't care what Steve Jobs says, if you really want to have happy siwtchers, you are going to have to make some compromises. It's a huge step back for us. It reduces productivity, when you are used to something (so used that you don't even think about it) and all of a sudden it's gone. It is something missing and it sucks. I know that you can "control+click," but often the right-click menus aren't as developed. You have to understand that many of us have been used to having a right-click our entire computer lives and it's just very odd and sometime frustrating without it.

Different UI philosophy.

Without going into great and gory detail (search on here for posts by me on single-button mice and you'll see my rants ), one of the basic precepts of Mac UI design is that everything is should be discoverable - you should be able to find *every* action by simply pointing and clicking, or at most dragging. Right-click breaks that badly when developers learn to rely on it. It becomes too easy to just plop an action in the contextual menu instead of finding a proper abstraction for it in the menus or other spot such as an info panel, palette or such. (This is the same reason the mouse only has one button.)

Fortunately, the solution is simple - plug any (properly designed) USB mouse into the Mac, and it will recognize up to five buttons and three scroll wheels automagically.

Quote:

-When you resize a folder window, the contents of the folder automatically adjust to the new size of the folder.

Remember that Show View Options... above for Icon View? Click the Keep Arranged By... and select your criteria.

I think reduces the list a bit...
  • Reply 76 of 79
    Quote:

Better on PC:

-You can hit "Enter" when a file is selected to open it. This way you can easily scroll trough files in a folder with just one finger, whereas with MAC you need to hit "command+enter." Again, just a little nusaunce (sp?) that seems like a step back when you are used to just using one finger to navigate a folder.

Personally i wouldn't consider this behavior as better, though It is, as you frequently pointed out, a matter of what you are used to. Anyway "command+enter" doesn't open a file on Mac. You probably mean "command+down arrow."

Though to navigate with arrow keys is just fine.

best
  • Reply 77 of 79
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I also think Windows deals with keyboard shortcuts much, much better and more intuitively. You reach everything (dialog buttons, menus) instantly, you see the correct keys to hit with Alt at each step, no need to remember things.

And Finder should probably have backspace to delete, certainly enter to launch. Cmd+down is not intuitive at all.

On Windows the new file feature uses "file templates". I found this quick and dirty hack that only uses the Unix utility 'touch'. It creates a totally empty file, so it will work for all programs/filetypes where the program will successfully open an empty file.

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=1758
  • Reply 78 of 79
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

I also think Windows deals with keyboard shortcuts much, much better and more intuitively. You reach everything (dialog buttons, menus) instantly, you see the correct keys to hit with Alt at each step, no need to remember things.

And Finder should probably have backspace to delete, certainly enter to launch. Cmd+down is not intuitive at all.

But Cmd-O(pen) is.

Quote:

On Windows the new file feature uses "file templates". I found this quick and dirty hack that only uses the Unix utility 'touch'. It creates a totally empty file, so it will work for all programs/filetypes where the program will successfully open an empty file.

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=1758

Ahhhhh, so it's just opening a template in the app. Not even triggering a 'New Document' event? That's unfortunate. Again though - can you do this with *NON*-MS apps?
  • Reply 79 of 79
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

But Cmd-O(pen) is.

Ahhhhh, so it's just opening a template in the app. Not even triggering a 'New Document' event? That's unfortunate. Again though - can you do this with *NON*-MS apps?

If it's what I think they're referring to, then yes. Here's what I see on a PC: