iBook shipping date quotes

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hey all,

Just noticed on Apple's online US store that iBook shipping dates are now listed as 3-5 business days, and estimated ship dates for Apple's online Canadian store are even longer (5-7 business days).

While this could just be a supply issue, doesn't this type of shipping date quotation generally tend to imply a new product launch happening ASAP? I could have sworn that when I looked at Apple's online Canadian store earlier this week, iBooks were quoted as same day shipping.

Woohoooo?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Here in the U my friend recently ordered an iBook and 20" iMac on my Apple account and the quoted shipping date is 3-4 weeks!

Hopefully if they update the iBook he'll get the newer one.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Apple can supply machines within 3?5 days in the US? You lot really are spoilt, aren't you?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    This could mean a clearing of the channel to make way for a new iBook. That's a historically accurate assumption.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    According to this German site updates are scheduled for next tuesday, speedbumbs and lower prices are mentioned, no other details
  • Reply 5 of 19
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TuberMagPico

According to this German site updates are scheduled for next tuesday, speedbumbs and lower prices are mentioned, no other details

If next Tuesday is indeed the date of a revision, I'm hoping Apple could make the iBook a tad thinner. Not a deal killer, but little tweaks like that help...as do higher specs and lower prices.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    I think it's very doubtful that Apple will change the iBook form factor, so a

"thinner" version would not seem to be in the cards at this time. I suspect a newly designed iBook will be out by the middle/end of next year. It currently remains a big seller and profitable computer for Apple and other then speed bumps and bigger hard drives, etc. I don't think there's a need for a major change as yet. If prices are reduced we're possibly talking about a $999 low end model!
  • Reply 7 of 19
    if they speed bump these, whatabout the powerbooks?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

I think it's very doubtful that Apple will change the iBook form factor, so a

"thinner" version would not seem to be in the cards at this time. I suspect a newly designed iBook will be out by the middle/end of next year.

Yeah doubtful, but not out of the realm of possibility. I believe Apple has tweaked the thickness of past laptops during speedbumps (or at least during minor revisions).

Actually introduction of a thinner iBook in a new "pearl metallic" white colour could be real cool. Kind of a "growing up" so to speak of the iBook.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Personally, I would be amazed if Apple updated the iBook without updating the PowerBooks at the same time. Tuesday does make sense; it's exactly 6 months since the last update. And Educase starts that day as well...

Here's hoping for new PowerBooks and iBooks on Tuesday. We'll see...
  • Reply 10 of 19
    I think it is fair to say that if the iBooks do get updated without the PowerBooks getting updated at the same time, the next version of the PowerBook is going to be bigger than just a simple speed bump revision.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    it would be awesome to have a new update, but it seems more likely that they'll wait for january for the Macworld expo to release new ones. i dunno, we'll find out in a few days
  • Reply 12 of 19
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I think it is fair to say that if the iBooks do get updated without the PowerBooks getting updated at the same time, the next version of the PowerBook is going to be bigger than just a simple speed bump revision.

I agree with this, I think it's quite possible that the iBooks could see an update while the Powerbooks are left until the beginning of the year. It's possible to do some minor tweaks to the iBook line while still leaving them differentiated from the Powerbooks.

One interesting thing about this week's quarterly earnings conference call is that Apple sold approx 500,000, and roughly half of those were iBooks (the iBooks actually outsold the Powerbooks), though of course this can naturally be attributed to back to school season.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by TuberMagPico

Forget this site!

This site is the worest Mac site in germany!
  • Reply 14 of 19
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by staphbaby

Apple can supply machines within 3?5 days in the US? You lot really are spoilt, aren't you?

Apple delayed my DP 2.5 40 days (took 60 days to ship), and delayed my GeForce6800 80 days (took 110 days to ship).

It also took 30 days for my sister's ipod mini to ship.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

Apple delayed my DP 2.5 40 days (took 60 days to ship), and delayed my GeForce6800 80 days (took 110 days to ship).

It also took 30 days for my sister's ipod mini to ship.

Where do you live?!?!
  • Reply 16 of 19
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Glad I waited till this rev coming up.

If I can get 64mb vram and 1.33ghz g4... I'll be a happy kid! Especially if its even cheaper!
  • Reply 17 of 19
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Glad I waited till this rev coming up.

If I can get 64mb vram and 1.33ghz g4... I'll be a happy kid! Especially if its even cheaper!

Why don't you get the 12 inch Powerbook, a better notebook all around and won't scratch when you breath in it's general direction.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Why don't you get the 12 inch Powerbook, a better notebook all around and won't scratch when you breath in it's general direction.

I was under the impression that Powerbooks scratch easier than iBooks. Or at the least, minor scuffs are less noticible on iBooks.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

12" is WAY too small for me... not just screen area but computer size too. I want a computer that I don't have to hold my legs together to keep it up.