IBM 3 for 10 in G5 Chips

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My G5 2.5 July 26 order. 6 to 8 weeks to no date what so ever for two or three weeks to OOB 10/13. On 10/14 RESCHEDULE TO 12/6!

My call to my reseller. "I have it (an $8,000.00+ total order w/ 30") on or before 11/2/04 or cancel the order!"

Reseller reply. "They don't know what happened. The 12/6 date was wrong. They put it on a fast track and I should have it by the end of this month." THAT OUT OF EVERY 1000 CHIPS THEY GET FROM IBM ONLY 300 WORK!

Now that would explain a lot! Apple schedules production based on 1000 chips and has to reschedule 700 because of IBM!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Resellers simply don't have access to this kind of information. Stats like this are carefuly gaurded trade secrets. Color me skeptical.

Even if he did have an inside source, there is zero chance of there being a 70% dead on arrival rate from a CPU supplier.

More likely is that only 30% off CPUs coming of the production line are stable at 2.5Ghz. The rest are clocked slower and put into cheaper models. Apple does not receive 70% non-functional CPUs. I suppose 70% could be deffective coming off the IBM line, but these would never be shipped to their customer, Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1douglask

My G5 2.5 July 26 order. 6 to 8 weeks to no date what so ever for two or three weeks to OOB 10/13. On 10/14 RESCHEDULE TO 12/6!

My call to my reseller. "I have it (an $8,000.00+ total order w/ 30") on or before 11/2/04 or cancel the order!"

Reseller reply. "They don't know what happened. The 12/6 date was wrong. They put it on a fast track and I should have it by the end of this month." THAT OUT OF EVERY 1000 CHIPS THEY GET FROM IBM ONLY 300 WORK!

Now that would explain a lot! Apple schedules production based on 1000 chips and has to reschedule 700 because of IBM!

if it really bothers you, just buy from apple next time.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    No. 1 - I posted what I was told about the failure rate. I really don't care if i should have learned it or not. I posted what I was told.

No. 2 - I saved some serious money buying where I did. I have seen too, too many posts of Apple direct customers with similar chaos to think that a viable answer.

No. 3 - The result of my threat to cancel? My G5 shipped today, I have the Fed Ex number.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Agreed, a reseller does not know how many G5 2.5 Ghz chips are dead when apple recieve them. Most likely, he used it as an excuse to cover up the mistaken shipping date change.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

Agreed, a reseller does not know how many G5 2.5 Ghz chips are dead when apple recieve them. Most likely, he used it as an excuse to cover up the mistaken shipping date change.

The guy's a FRIEND of mine. Agree all you want. I believe him.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1douglask

The guy's a FRIEND of mine. Agree all you want. I believe him.

That means squat to us. I have friends who don't know what the hell they are talking about.

There is no way in holy hell IBM is shipping %70 DOA chips.

Crack pipe down on the ground please and tell him to leave it there.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Excuse. CYA. Reseller's don't get chip yield data... it's a trade secret.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Besides, if 70% of the CPUs were DOA at Apple, do you think they would even risk using the other 30%? If 70% died between testing at IBM and arrival at Apple's docks, wouldn't the remaining 30% have a good chance of dying once they shipped it to some Apple freak who decides to start their new Apple's life doing Cinebench, Xbench, & PS benchmarks?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Besides, if 70% of the CPUs were DOA at Apple, do you think they would even risk using the other 30%? If 70% died between testing at IBM and arrival at Apple's docks, wouldn't the remaining 30% have a good chance of dying once they shipped it to some Apple freak who decides to start their new Apple's life doing Cinebench, Xbench, & PS benchmarks?

So true. This is utter BS. IBM will never sent such a vast amount of bad chips to an huge customer like Apple. In fact no chip makers will ever sent 70 % of crappy_chips to any customers.

Chips are tested by IBM, who decided at what speed the particular chip can be clocked, and then the chip is send to Apple. I don't know what % of bad chips any customers recieve, but I firmly believe that the number is very low.

Even if it's your best friend who told this, it's totally inaccurate Idouglask.