Dual Desktops

lenlen
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have 2 monitors attached to my Powermac G5 and was wondering about different desktop configurations. Currently, my desktop spans across both monitors and thats great. However, I was wondering if it is possible for the 2 monitors to be treated as seperate desktops so that I can run a full screen application with it only being full screen for one monitor. In the windows and linux worlds I have been able to get this to work but I can't seem to figure it out in the OSX world(if it is even possible).

-Len

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by running a mac program full screen (unless you're talking about a game), but I'm pretty sure that you can not do it. You can only have one menubar placed on one of your monitors and that is denoted as your primary screen. You can only have one program in the foreground at a time.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lenlen Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Code Master

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by running a mac program full screen (unless you're talking about a game), but I'm pretty sure that you can not do it. You can only have one menubar placed on one of your monitors and that is denoted as your primary screen. You can only have one program in the foreground at a time.

Well, I mean both a game and other applications like a video player which might have full screen mode. Ideally I'd like each monitor to have an instance of the finder running on it. Doesn't sound like that will happen though.

As far as specifics, I have a mythtv(homebrew PVR, http://mythtv.org) frontend on my mac right now and it's a full screen application. When I turn it into full screen mode the program spans both monitors and it is quite frustrating.

Thanks for the reply.

-Len
  • Reply 3 of 5
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Code Master

I think he means, having a menu bar in each monitor, and being able to have two applications "at the front" at the same time.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by len

Well, I mean both a game and other applications like a video player which might have full screen mode. Ideally I'd like each monitor to have an instance of the finder running on it. Doesn't sound like that will happen though.

As far as specifics, I have a mythtv(homebrew PVR, http://mythtv.org) frontend on my mac right now and it's a full screen application. When I turn it into full screen mode the program spans both monitors and it is quite frustrating.

Thanks for the reply.

-Len

Quicktime and (I think) vlc have a way to do full screen video on the secondary monitor (the one without the menu bar). Maybe you should poke around those apps to see how they do it and then code it into mythtv (which I would LOVE to see ported* by the way-very nice).

*actually... I suggest you start a thread about it in general discussion/software or ThinkSecret's ThirdParty Programs forum ( www.applenova.com )-I'm sure you would get MANY interested parties over there.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    How programs deal with a second monitor is up to the program. Some allow you to use it, some just ignore it, some make it go black or blue. I really like the option to set what to do with it. For some games, I like the second screen to stay active so that when I get an IM, I can see who sent it and that type of stuff, but when I want to watch a movie, I want the room to be dark except the movie. I could always turn the monitor off I suppose.