What software should I buy to protect my Mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm buying a new iMac with Applecare, but I also want to get some security software just to be safe. I know there's no spyware for but I do want to get antivirus and utilities software.

Which ones do you guys suggest? I'll probably go with Norton for antivirus, but they don't make utilites for Mac any more. What about Diskwarrior?

Feel free to make a small list of stuff you would suggest me to buy. I would really appreciate it!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by dferigmu

I'm buying a new iMac with Applecare, but I also want to get some security software just to be safe. I know there's no spyware for but I do want to get antivirus and utilities software.

Which ones do you guys suggest? I'll probably go with Norton for antivirus, but they don't make utilites for Mac any more. What about Diskwarrior?

Feel free to make a small list of stuff you would suggest me to buy. I would really appreciate it!

don't buy norton products for mac. end of story.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    DiskWarrior is fanatastic, a must buy IMO. It's one of those things that you never ever need... until you really REALLY do, and then it is indispensable.

Ditto the above advice though: Norton's software performs so badly on the Mac that it is borderline criminal. And I mean that literally. A disk utility 'repair' program should not be so badly designed that it screws up perfectly good disks beyond anyone's ability to repair. Norton's software on the Mac is buggy, overpriced (heck, free would be too much for the damage it can cause), and to be avoided at all costs.

.Mac subscriptions include a constantly updated anti-virus utility, and backup utilities, and mail, and web space, and, and, and... $99/yr. Not a bad deal, really, if you just need basic tools for those jobs. (ie no tape drives, server farms, or some such)
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Actually. You should get "TechTool Pro" It does what Disk Warrior does and a lot more.Check it out

http://www.micromat.com/tt_pro_4/tt_pro_4.html

You won't need anything else.

8)
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

DiskWarrior is fanatastic, a must buy IMO. It's one of those things that you never ever need... until you really REALLY do, and then it is indispensable.

Ditto the above advice though: Norton's software performs so badly on the Mac that it is borderline criminal. And I mean that literally. A disk utility 'repair' program should not be so badly designed that it screws up perfectly good disks beyond anyone's ability to repair. Norton's software on the Mac is buggy, overpriced (heck, free would be too much for the damage it can cause), and to be avoided at all costs.

.Mac subscriptions include a constantly updated anti-virus utility, and backup utilities, and mail, and web space, and, and, and... $99/yr. Not a bad deal, really, if you just need basic tools for those jobs. (ie no tape drives, server farms, or some such)

Just some questions: What does Diskwarrior actually do and when do you need it?

Also, what anti-virus could I get other than Norton and .Mac?

Thanks!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by dferigmu

Just some questions: What does Diskwarrior actually do and when do you need it?

Also, what anti-virus could I get other than Norton and .Mac?

Thanks!

If you're on a mac, you don't really need one.