G5 DP 1.8 or 2.0?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Buying a machine for my son, can't decide whether to get the DP 1.8 or 2.0, he's not going to be using it too hard, I'm happy with the 80Gb in the 1.8 and will only be putting 1Gb in either way. Either way I'm putting the 9600XT, BT and Airport into it.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chopper3

Buying a machine for my son, can't decide whether to get the DP 1.8 or 2.0, he's not going to be using it too hard, I'm happy with the 80Gb in the 1.8 and will only be putting 1Gb in either way. Either way I'm putting the 9600XT, BT and Airport into it.

Any thoughts?

If he's not using it for serious video/audio/music work, the I'd suggest going with the DP 1.8 and upgrading the video card to the 9800 XT - if your son is of gaming obsession age like mine, then the extra ability to drive pixels would be appreciated more than that extra CPU.

The gains you get from the 2.0 are slightly higher CPU speed (not noticable if you're not pushing it too hard), room for more RAM (4GB as opposed to 8GB is 1GB DIMMs), and PCI-X - given that there are only a couple of PCI-X cards out there and they're for high speed networks and disk arrays, I imagine it won't be a problem.