iBook and word seems to always quit

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a 1.2 GHz. 14 inch iBook with 512 mb. of ram, 256 of it being third party. Anyhow I am having a problem with Microsoft Word. When I type a lot of information at one time, go to save the document or try and use any kind of command cut, copy, paste the spinning wheel of death comes up. It then says that the application has unexpectedly quit and would I like to send a report. Also a couple of times when I try and save the document it says that there is not enough memory to save it. I have plenty of room on my harddrive, about 45 gigs so I dont see how that can be a problem. I run the activity monitor and the memory that word seems to be using is never above 50%. When the problems happen I have other programs such as Preview, iChat and Safari on. I am only using Word to type long documents and that is when it acts up. Any information with this problem would be very helpful. It is a pain because sometimes I loose a lot of information when the document quits or will not save. I have turned on the recover every minute option but I still loose stuff. Well again thanks for any help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    First, repair permissions, just in case. Then update MS Office to the latest version. Then you may need to repair permissions again. Hope it will help.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by garrett

I have a 1.2 GHz. 14 inch iBook with 512 mb. of ram, 256 of it being third party. Anyhow I a...

...he recover every minute option but I still loose stuff. Well again thanks for any help.

Well, Word. Ok, do you run Office V. X or the next gen Office suite?

IF you run v. X you have to update to the latest patch. The only way to fix the probs. I had the very same troubles with word v. X with Panther. I struggled around 2 weeks, word constantly crashed like you've described. Finally i ...er ... found out that even MS provides some updates. *knock, knock*

Well, it is a free update
  • Reply 3 of 7
    tokentoken Posts: 142member
    This problem occurs in MS Word 2004 as well. As far as I have gathered, Word quits after saving too many times with long documents. It was supposed to be fixed, though. There is some sort of unofficial fix for Word 2001/v.X here , but I haven't tried it with Word 2004.

Let me know if it works :-)
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Token

This problem occurs in MS Word 2004 as well. As far as I have gathered, Word quits after saving too many times with long documents. It was supposed to be fixed, though. There is some sort of unofficial fix for Word 2001/v.X here , but I haven't tried it with Word 2004.

Let me know if it works :-)

Aha, that would explain something. How is "long documents" defined? more than, say, 10 pages
  • Reply 5 of 7
    tokentoken Posts: 142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Aha, that would explain something. How is "long documents" defined? more than, say, 10 pages

Excactly ;-)
  • Reply 6 of 7
    daveleedavelee Posts: 245member
    I have had this problem with Word v.X as well. I have recently updated Word with the recent update, however before this I had to regularly trash the preferences and plist file from the library. For some reason this solved the issue and Word would start and save normally.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by garrett

I have a 1.2 GHz. 14 inch iBook with 512 mb. of ram, 256 of it being third party.

Obviously, Microsoft doesn't support 3rd party RAM. And - WHA-A-AT? - 512MB? Of course, 512MB is barely enough for a 10-page document.