40 vs. 60 gb pbook hard drive?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i promised myself that if the oct. 15 pbook rumor did not pan out, i'd go ahead and get a ti800.

I'd like to know what the performance/heat/noise is like between the 40 and 60 gb hard drives. I'd like to think that i'll be getting at least 3 years out of this machine, doing professional graphics work in photoshop, illustrator, quark and indesign

please advise

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I don't have a TiBook but have owned several earlier PB versions. I've found that all HDs become noisy after a few months. It has been said that this was due to moving the PB while it was sleeping or otherwhise using it while it is moving.

I have changed HDs several times. I have finally found one I like; the Toshiba 40GB with liquid bearings. This one has remained quiet after installing in June. All others develop an annoying, high pitched whine.

There are two versions of the Toshiba drive, one is faster and has a 16MB cache. You can find it on the Toshiba site.

My point is that my experience is that no matter what drive the 'Book comes with you may wind up changing it out for something else before long. Your milage may vary.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Apple also charges a premium for that 60 GB drive. I would recommend staying with the 40 GB one for now, and replacing it when you need the extra space. The hard drive in the TiBook is not that difficult to replace, and price/performance on laptop hard drives will likely be better in 6+ months.

When you do a swap sometime down the road, you can toss your 40 GB drive into an external FireWire enclosure.

There is of course the performance improvement with the 5400 RPM drive, but from what I've read in various forums from people who got the 60 it's not that noticeable.

[ 10-23-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 8
    eds66eds66 Posts: 119member
    I believe that the 60GB drive is not merely bigger, but it is also faster. The 40GB spins at 4200 RPM; the 60GB version has the rotational speed of 5400 RPM. This is of extreme importance for OS X, which loves to swap, especially when there is less-than-enough RAM onboard.

Just something to consider. If money is less important than productivity, I would go with the 60GB drive
  • Reply 4 of 8
    thanks for the advice.

anyone else?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    i use a 60 GB at 5400, and before that have had a 48 GB at 5400 and a 20GB at 4200. Get one with 5400rpms...it is a world of difference.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    enough of the subjective opinions!

here are some hard facts for you, hopefully next time you will do a google search for yourself.

<a href="http://www.barefeats.com/fire32.html"; target="_blank">2.5 inch HD comparo</a>

p.s. there are links to more tests at the bottom of the page I posted above if you need in depth research
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Buy 40 GB one with the computer. When you fill it up you can buy a 60/80/100/120/ect... when you need it. And by that time the drive it's self will cost the price of the upgrade. Then sell the old dirve on eBay and be happy. (That is if you are comforatble with swaping hard drives in laptops)
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Murbot is completely correct! I am typing this on a Ti 800 that came with a 40 GB which I replaced with a 60 GB (that cost about what Apple wanted for upgrading the 40 to a 60), leaving me with a nice little 40 GB drive for external use.

[quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>Apple also charges a premium for that 60 GB drive. I would recommend staying with the 40 GB one for now, and replacing it when you need the extra space. The hard drive in the TiBook is not that difficult to replace, and price/performance on laptop hard drives will likely be better in 6+ months.

When you do a swap sometime down the road, you can toss your 40 GB drive into an external FireWire enclosure.

There is of course the performance improvement with the 5400 RPM drive, but from what I've read in various forums from people who got the 60 it's not that noticeable.

[ 10-23-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</strong><hr></blockquote>