No new PowerBooks before the holidays

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This was on Mac Minute:

Quote:

Apple VP: No new PowerBooks before the holidays

October 19, 2004 - 16:00 EDT__ According to David Moody, Apple's vice president of Worldwide Mac Product Marketing, Apple fans shouldn't expect new or revamped PowerBooks before Christmas. "This new line-up of iBooks, along with the current PowerBooks we have will make up the complete portable line-up we will be offering for the holidays," Moody said while discussing the updated iBooks released this morning.

PowerBook G5s at MacWorld San Francisco?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    I think most folks have said for a long time that PB revs wouldn't happen until MWSF.

G5 maybe only in the 17 at first, but even a bump was always more likely in Jan than holiday 04.

YMMV.
  • Reply 2 of 59
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Nah...my guess is probably another round of speedbumps to (1.8 Ghz?)or just toughing it out and do nothing until March/April when they will have a G5 Powerbook ready in conjuction with a Tiger rollout.

I don't think Apple is in a rush for a G5 laptop. While most of us here are constantly clamouring for more, I'm guessing sales are still pretty brisk.

PC laptops however do have some pretty slick screens, and perhaps that's what Apple can upgrade as well. But all in all, there's still nothing out there that competes aesthetically with Powerbook. There are faster ones, but none sexier.
  • Reply 3 of 59
    bummmer...

I truly hope that Apple has been working on and preparing a laptop that competes with the Pentium M type computers. Laptops are moving towards low wattage, high speed and I hope Apple is following.
  • Reply 4 of 59
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    That's what ive been thinking - there is either a G4 update now or a G5 at MWSF!.

That could be an awesome keynote!
  • Reply 5 of 59
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Apple has debuted new PowerBooks every other year for awhile. Back at MWSF 2001, they debuted the Titanium PowerBook G4. At MWSF 2003, the debuted the new Aluminum styling. Given the every other year thing, 2005 could be an awesome MacWorld!
  • Reply 6 of 59
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    I would rather buy the last PB G4 than the first PB G5.

The reasons are simple. The first G5s if they're not buggy will come out limping. The boys will have done all they can to overcome the technical difficulties inherent in the upgrade and will have little energy left to take care with the creature comforts.

The 1st one will also be promptly followed up by an enhanced version, as happened with the 1st Gen ibook I'm typing on which popped out of the womb, opened its eyes, and saw its twin brother come charging out of SJ's vagina with a faster processor and a HD with double the capacity of his own. And, me, for pre-ordering five years ago, am now stuck with a slow external HD (my tangerine only has USB 1.0) to complement my massive 3 gig internal HD.

Don't you all jump on my nutz. I love this un-buggy feller. Runs Jaguar like a champ. Interesting how the story of my machine so resembles my experience buying the OS,, which I did just before another kitty started hogging on SJ's paps.

This is why I'm praying for an upgrade like we've just seen with the ibook and not a PB revolution.

--B
  • Reply 7 of 59
    The pbook will defiently go G5 if true. All the faster G4's are just in sampling mode and won't go public intill mid to late '05. There is no chip available besides the G5.
  • Reply 8 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

The pbook will defiently go G5 if true. All the faster G4's are just in sampling mode and won't go public intill mid to late '05. There is no chip available besides the G5.

What's sampling mode? Please elaborate...

--B
  • Reply 9 of 59
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    New PB will have to be G5 if they announce in January; which means shipping in March; which gives them about 6-months more to get a G5 in a mobile...

That ought to be enough time ya'd think....
  • Reply 10 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

What's sampling mode? Please elaborate...

--B

They are due to be sampled(tested) in '05. They won't be ready for awhile.
  • Reply 11 of 59
    If the schedule plays out, there should be mobile-tuned G5s delivered to Apple in December or January. These are low-voltage 970FXs featuring PowerTune and an increase in L2 cache. I'm not sure what the clockrates will be.

But wait, there's more. There's a reason why IBM's production on G5s has not been as expected. While early problems this year at 90nm caused shortages, there has been an option to ramp up production BUT Apple and IBM decided to focus their resources on being sure the new offerings are ready for heavy production. So while production is better than it was, it is not what it could be because a decision was made to ensure the future of the product line and work to fight future issues. The fear was that focusing on increasing 2.5GHZ G5s (and even 2GHZ) would possibly lead to the same problems when the POWER5 based 970s begin production early next year (dual core, increased L2, and SMT capable). I'm also not sure about the clockrate there. IBM has stable processors clocked up to 4 GHZ and running fine (dual core), but the machines would be far to loud and expensive for Apple to manufacture them. Dual-core 3GHZ would not surprise me on the PowerMacs, but it all boils down to Apple's obsession with quietness coupled with power and elegance. Of course, the delivery depends heavily on IBM hitting its marks. It has thus far when it comes to these new chips.

Mobile dual core G5s could hit late next year - they are being worked on.
  • Reply 12 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

New PB will have to be G5 if they announce in January; which means shipping in March;

So if one were to wait for the January Surprise and they do indeed announce the G5, would that mean that you'd be stuck preordering a G5 or that you'd still be able to get in on the last G4's? In essence, what would the Apple Store look like on Jan 11?

--B
  • Reply 13 of 59
    Quote:

So if one were to wait for the January Surprise and they do indeed announce the G5, would that mean that you'd be stuck preordering a G5 or that you'd still be able to get in on the last G4's? In essence, what would the Apple Store look like on Jan 11?

--B

Sorry if it sounds like I'm rooting against the home team

--B
  • Reply 14 of 59
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    In the event a PG G5 was preorder, Apple would likely closeout G4 PB's in special deals area. You'd probably also still be able to get a G4 PB from a reseller who still has supply.
  • Reply 15 of 59
    Bummer! My wife wants a new laptop and I was hoping to wait for the update, but Jan (read March) is too far away. Now i have to decide whether to go for a Powerbook or one of the new iBooks.
  • Reply 16 of 59
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

New PB will have to be G5 if they announce in January; which means shipping in March; which gives them about 6-months more to get a G5 in a mobile...

That ought to be enough time ya'd think....

Id say that the G5 in the mobile is ready now, it will require this time and the next 5 months to get ample supply of these low voltage FX's.

The shipping in March allows Apple to ship 'enough' units in the quarter without ruining it financially (but of course, not 'enough' to meet demand.

Powerbook G5 sweeeet
  • Reply 17 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by hasapi

Id say that the G5 in the mobile is ready now, it will require this time and the next 5 months to get ample supply of these low voltage FX's.

The shipping in March allows Apple to ship 'enough' units in the quarter without ruining it financially (but of course, not 'enough' to meet demand.

Powerbook G5 sweeeet

what do you mean by mobile? like as in; 2 inch thick case, marginal speed improvement, crippled G5, runs hot, terrible battery life?

or something sexy like is out now?
  • Reply 18 of 59
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

I would rather buy the last PB G4 than the first PB G5.

The reasons are simple. The first G5s if they're not buggy will come out limping. The boys will have done all they can to overcome the technical difficulties inherent in the upgrade and will have little energy left to take care with the creature comforts.

The 1st one will also be promptly followed up by an enhanced version, as happened with the 1st Gen ibook I'm typing on which popped out of the womb, opened its eyes, and saw its twin brother come charging out of SJ's vagina with a faster processor and a HD with double the capacity of his own. And, me, for pre-ordering five years ago, am now stuck with a slow external HD (my tangerine only has USB 1.0) to complement my massive 3 gig internal HD.

Don't you all jump on my nutz. I love this un-buggy feller. Runs Jaguar like a champ. Interesting how the story of my machine so resembles my experience buying the OS,, which I did just before another kitty started hogging on SJ's paps.

This is why I'm praying for an upgrade like we've just seen with the ibook and not a PB revolution.

--B

I have a rev A Titanium PowerBook and a rev A G5 tower. Both machines are troopers. My only complaints are as follows:

PowerBook has only 8MB of VRAM. Granted my ATI 128 Mobile isn't a speed demon, but it has always sucked that I can't run an external 1280x1024 and internal 1152x768 both with millions of colors. Also, this setup runs slowly. When I first bought the machine it bothered me a decent amount since I had a good CRT. But today, it doesn't matter so much since the machine is so slow (relatively) anyhow! I am far more likely to use it in this type of situation today than 3 years ago.

One of the G5s fans is a little too loud for me. I haven't poked around in the case with it on to identify exactly where its coming from. I think its the fan on my 9800 Pro graphics card.

Yes, later models will have improved features, but that's always the way it is! If you don't think you'll get faster and cheaper gear in 6 months, you must be new to computers.

I'd be more weary of Rev A hardware problems. Luckily, I haven't been bitten by that bug.
  • Reply 19 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by Peter North

what do you mean by mobile? like as in; 2 inch thick case, marginal speed improvement, crippled G5, runs hot, terrible battery life?

or something sexy like is out now?

The mobile version of the G5 will be far from crippled. I'd say its power consumption should be on par with the new Pentium Ms, from all I've heard from IBM. It will not run hot. Apple should be able to keep the 1-inch thick cases.

Not sure how much of a MHZ bump we'll see from the G4, but we will see improved memory support, increased L2 cache (it may be 2MB, but I haven't been able to verify that). Bus speed will improve. VMX will improve. Should put PowerBooks up there with anything the PC portable world has to offer.
  • Reply 20 of 59
    philbyphilby Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. MacPhisto

The mobile version of the G5 will be far from crippled. I'd say its power consumption should be on par with the new Pentium Ms, from all I've heard from IBM. It will not run hot. Apple should be able to keep the 1-inch thick cases.

Not sure how much of a MHZ bump we'll see from the G4, but we will see improved memory support, increased L2 cache (it may be 2MB, but I haven't been able to verify that). Bus speed will improve. VMX will improve. Should put PowerBooks up there with anything the PC portable world has to offer.

You speak rather knowledgeably, MacPhisto -- Lets hope you're not making this up

Anyway, I'm not sure I quite follow you: if "mobile-tuned G5s" get "delivered to Apple in December or January" -- what's this about "MHz bump for the G4"? Do you think there will be another round of G4 PBs?