Radeon 9800 pro opinion ?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'll be changing my NVidia GeForce 4 MX (32 MB) video card for the ATI Radeon 9800 pro (128 MB) very soon. My Mac is a dual 867 MHz with OS X 10.3.5 and a full GB ram. I'm wondering about the heat and the noise level of the ATI card. What you guys can tell about the noise and the heat ? Is the ATI card very noisy ?

And how can you compare the 9800 pro to the newer NVidia (and ATI) cards available for the G5 ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    http://www.barefeats.com/gef6800b.html

Quote:

GRAPH LEGEND

Graphics Cards

GeF68 = nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL (8X, 256MB)

Rad98 XT = Radeon 9800 XT OEM (8X, 256MB

Rad98 SE = Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Special Edition (8X, 256MB)

Rad96 XT = Radeon 9600 XT OEM (8X, 128MB)

Rad98 R = Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Retail Edition (2X/4X 128MB)

Remember, since you have a G4 MAKE SURE IT'S THE 2x/4X AGP MODEL!!

As for the noise, it shouldn't be too bad, but I doubt you'll have adjustable fan control so it might be 100% RPM all the time.

Back to the point: what choice have you got? the 9800 Retail is the best 4xAGP card for Mac, period.

It's also a huge upgrade over a GeForce4mx.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    What do you mean 100% on all the time ? I'm very afraid of the noise level.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kali

What do you mean 100% on all the time ? I'm very afraid of the noise level.

sorry I was tired last night.

It's possible the fan will be spinning at maximum speed, can someone else verify this?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    I have one in my PC. It's an ATI made card and so doesn't have one of those huge 3rd party fans on it.

The fan speed/noise varies depending on the GPU load. When running Windows it's fairly low, not too offensive but it may just be drowned out by the din from my Shuttle's heatpipe fan.

Start taxing it (3D Studio Max, sometimes Photoshop) and it revs up a notch. Then I can hear it.

Fire up a game, especially a high end one such as Doom 3, and it roars like a vacuum cleaner. Very load at that point, but it's not such a big issue as I just turn up the speakers and let the game sounds blast it out.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kotatsu

Start taxing it (3D Studio Max, sometimes Photoshop) and it revs up a notch. Then I can hear it.

Fire up a game, especially a high end one such as Doom 3, and it roars like a vacuum cleaner. Very load at that point, but it's not such a big issue as I just turn up the speakers and let the game sounds blast it out.

GO#$%?*(& This is making me freaking out! I'm now totally afraid of my purchase. I don't want to have a &*%$# noisy computer from hell