Virtual PC to control equipment

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am PC user wanting to purchase a new powerbook. I work for a mobile television company and may need to use my computer at times on the trucks. The problem is that all the software that runs the equipment is only made for pc. Can I run VPC and control equipment via a serial (DB9) or ethernet with a powerbook running VPC? Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gremlinbrd

I am PC user wanting to purchase a new powerbook. I work for a mobile television company and may need to use my computer at times on the trucks. The problem is that all the software that runs the equipment is only made for pc. Can I run VPC and control equipment via a serial (DB9) or ethernet with a powerbook running VPC? Thanks for the help.

Apple has never used the DB-9 serial port. Prior to the original iMac. Apple used the DIN-8 serial port, which can connect to a DB-9 or DB-25 using a Mac modem cable or a homemade job. Beginning with the iMac, Apple has not included any kind of RS-232 port on any of its new computers. The company replaced RS-232 with USB.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I was planning on using a USB to serial adapter. I think belkin makes one.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

There are USB to DB9 adapters that will work, but only if there are proper drivers for the equipment in question. Writing custom drivers can be done.

Also let it be said that not all USB-->Serial adapters are the same! Many don't support all of the pins and voltages properly and where it doesn't matter for 'most stuff' quite often the 'non-run-of-the-mill' serial devices do make use of those pins for communications.

You'll clearly want to research your device and what if any luck others have had trying to control it with a usb/serial adapter. Keyspan (I think) has a very good rep for being able to work with lots of unique devices. (but I think they charge more for it)

Google before you buy...

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Assuming that the adapter will work and is the right pinout, will VPC be able to recognize that is there?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Can I run VPC and control equipment via a serial (DB9) or ethernet with a powerbook running VPC? Thanks for the help.

Choose ethernet.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Assuming that the adapter will work and is the right pinout, will VPC be able to recognize that is there?

Check this page: http://www.macwindows.com/VPC6.html

Seems to be some talk about using USB with VPC and even has a comment from someone who got his USB/Serial adapter to work (even tho VPC 'reported' it couldn't see it).

Looks to me like a huge YWVV (your milage WILL vary)

Buy it (from somewhere you know will take a return) and then cross your fingers.

Dave