PowerBookG4 Hardware Trouble

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a 667 MHz PBG4 with a MatshitaDVD-ROM SR-8187 drive. It has always been working great until all of the sudden the monitor started to freeze and then showed static. The only mod I made to the laptop was to change the DVD firmware several months beforehand. The problem persisted after completely reformatting the HD and turning it over to two independent Apple certified shops and going to an Apple retail store.

There was no common consent as to what might be wrong (one suggestion was the logic board, which I doubted, because everything else works fine and the monitor does NOT ALWAYS freeze) and I was told to ship it to Apple's tech unit in Texas.

However, since I have another computer, I wanted to save the money. Now (half a year has passed) I either wanted to try to reinstall the original DVD firmware, which is hard to do since I don't have Mac OS 9 anymore (which is what this PB came with) OR I wanted to use the broken laptop as much as possible to help out my working laptop (databackup, processing power, etc).

Does anybody know of similar problems (and how to fix them) or how to use the computing power of the broken monitor laptop to support the working model?