[?]New iBooks are opaque white, right?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just a simple question about the casing of the new iBooks: it's opaque white (as opposed to the used to be clear plastic with white interior surface). So any easy "color mods" are impossible with the new iBooks!

BTW when did this change, or better what's that last "clear" iBook generation?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    This change came very late in the iBook G3 model, and continued through the G4 offerings. Before that, the shape was the same but the finish and keyboard were different, and before that, of course, there was the original and immensely rugged iBook.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Republic

before that, of course, there was the original and immensely rugged iBook.

Is whitey really that much less rugged than the clamshell?

--B
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Drop both and see.

While the current iBook isn't the weakest kid on the block, I have the impression that the current iBook G4 is not so rugged as the original. The old iBooks had much thicker enclosures, enclosing the computer's components in a way that the current machines really don't. There's thicker plastic and rubber in those, if memory serves.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    The convex case is infinitely stronger than a flat one, if you think about it. Just ask Buckminster. Or a hatching chicken.

--B
  • Reply 5 of 5
    i have an old ibook, with clear plastic on a white background and i got a new battery and now it looks weird. I definitly like the old ibook better.

my ibook is pretty tough. I dropped it 2 feet onto sidwalk and it still works!!