maxtor DiamondMax 10 200 GB SATA 150 mac compatible?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

can anyone tell me if the new internal HD Diamondmax 7000prm bulk is compatible with my Mac G5?

I thought that a G5 can use every serial ATA drive or am I wrong?

Anyway, the manual mentions only "PC Compatible"

maxtor DiamondMax 10 200 GB SATA 150

7 pin sATA 150 MBps 7000 prm 8MB Buffer size 3.5"

TIA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    The hands down best place to check on compatibility reports is http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ (they have a drive database section) with GOBS of great info! But just to save you a little time I just checked that database and so far I didn't see any mention of a Seagate with the keyword DiamondMax.

All the same I'd keep checking that site since it's really good about ferreting out things that work vs. things that mostly work vs. things that you should stay away from.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I would assume SATA is SATA, it is a standard, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

The hands down best place to check on compatibility reports is http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ (they have a drive database section) with GOBS of great info! But just to save you a little time I just checked that database and so far I didn't see any mention of a Seagate with the keyword DiamondMax.

Dave

It's a Maxtor, not a Seagate, and I found one compatibility report, but not with the drive I mentioned.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I thought that Maxtor's had kind of a dubious reliability? I know that I've lost two in teh last year that were less than 3 years old. I don't know anything else, but I have a suspicion that there is a reason that the Maxtors are consistently the least expensive hard drives. That being said, I see no reason that hte drive won't work (at least for a while) with a G5.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    I'd get a western digital instead.

Maxtor has big time reliability deficits.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I've usually been able to find good deals on OEM Seagates, too.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Definitely get the Seagates that come from Apple in the PowerMac G5. I have 2 160 GB Serial ATA Seagate Barracudda's in my Dual 2.0Ghz Rev. B G5 running RAID 0 and the thing flies now. go to www.newegg.com they have the best prices on just about everything. But to answer your question SATA is SATA and I don't see why the drive would cause a conflict.