Buying from non-authorized Apple resellers.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I think I found a pretty good deal on a Powerbook online that is a few hundred below what Apple wants on its online store.

I do not think the place is an authorized reseller though. They would be touting the fact if they were I think.

Are there any issues when buying from a place not officially enrolled in the reseller program? Is the warranty not recognized by Apple. Will they refuse upgrades or repairs?

This reseller in particular did not post a lot of information. Stuff like the type of video card, or wxplicitly state whether it was new/unopened, refurbished, with/without warranty, etc. So I am a bit weary, but the price is right and I can always call them up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    sounds like fraud
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jpp1cdjpp1cd Posts: 135member
    Please provide a link to this reseller. It is almost always a fraud. I recommend that unless you are buying used from someone you know, you buy from an authorized reseller. Apple is not too easy about giving these out and that way you know the company is legit.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Well, the place is a member of the Better Business Bureau, so I'd assume they haven't been chronically ripping people off. Been a member since 1997.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    imudimud Posts: 140member
    Just call them and ask questions, make sure its not a refab or open box. You might also want to check ebay.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by darek:

<strong>Well, the place is a member of the Better Business Bureau, so I'd assume they haven't been chronically ripping people off. Been a member since 1997.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Call the BBB that they are a member of and ask about any complaints and how they were resolved. Ask the BBB if that is an abnormal amount for that type of business.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    jpp1cdjpp1cd Posts: 135member
    I know of a company that was part of the BBB and looked good but in the end was not. They were listed as top rated sellers by Yahoo. None of that matters as you can manipulate those things. I'm just saying be careful. Make sure you pay by credit card as that way you can get your money back through fraud protection. Any other method makes it extremely difficult.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    For warentee work I think Apple will want you to go through the dealer. If you say well the arn't an Apple dealer, Apple reverves the right to say "SORRY!".
  • Reply 8 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by jpp1cd:

<strong>I know of a company that was part of the BBB and looked good but in the end was not. They were listed as top rated sellers by Yahoo. None of that matters as you can manipulate those things. I'm just saying be careful. Make sure you pay by credit card as that way you can get your money back through fraud protection. Any other method makes it extremely difficult.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Funny you should say that because the place gives the price of cash purchases (money order, wire transfer, cash) $80 lower than for credit card purchases.

I'll just buy it from an authorized reseller. I know someone that had to use someone else's serial number to get a replacement AC adapter. Not worth the hassle to save $200-$300 when I am spending over $2k already.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    How about you just tell us the name of the company or give us a freaking link. That would make it pretty simple. It is not like they are going to track you down using your Appleinsider screen name and beat you with a wet noodle.