Are there any consistent iMac G5 problems?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have heard about some over-heating with power supply issues, the 20-inch fan constantly on high, and disc-eject problems.

Are these problems isolated or more wide-spread with this revision A iMac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    rara Posts: 623member
    My sister has a 17 inch and hasn't mentioned any problems so far. *shrugs*\
  • Reply 2 of 7
    There is a lot of discussion on the Apple support forums in regards to issues with the G5 iMac. That would be a good place to search. Just remember that most of those who post in support forums do so because they have problems. The majority who have no problems whatsoever normally don't post topics such as "My iMac is completly problem free!"
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jarhead

There is a lot of discussion on the Apple support forums in regards to issues with the G5 iMac. That would be a good place to search. Just remember that most of those who post in support forums do so because they have problems. The majority who have no problems whatsoever normally don't post topics such as "My iMac is completly problem free!"

Thank you so much for pointing out that issue.

It is the nature of online help/support forums to gather all sort of malfunctions, which eventually could occur. It necessarily doesn't represent the real state.

Well. It is all covered by statistics so far

Example: there are 1000 iMacs to be sold, one is spoiled. The one who got the spoiled one, will inevitably post to some Forum to scream out his bad experience. Guess what happens: a few Forum readers will necessarily think, that there is a huge problem concerning with this and that product.

But this is wrong perception.

Next, people (who heard through forums, that this and that product has some sort of malfunction) will look extremly careful about that announced malfunction. For example they will play with the CD-Eject mechanism until it is broken. Then they shout: "Look! I knew! It is broken!"

I call this "selffullfilling prophecy".

I almost always give Mac newbies one advice: Try to avoid reading support forums.

The vast majority of Mac users do live completly problem free indeed. I'd guess, a huge number of Mac users even don't bother at all about ...er "FORUMS" and such.

Best
  • Reply 4 of 7
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I was actually thinking about this yesterday. I'm on my third Mac now (20" iMac), but both of my previous Macs have had to go in for freshening up months after I bought them. My original TiBook went in for a dead HD (died during MWNY 2001 when I hit refresh in IE ) and found out it needed a new DVD drive. My AlBook that I picked up last Fall had to be sent back for a new LCD screen due to white spots. Wow. Thinking about it I guess I didn't get the memo, "Don't buy Apple's Rev A products".

Have my fingers crossed that I won't get burned by picking up a Rev A iMac G5. So far the iMac has been a great machine, although Finder has crashed and burned on me once so far, necessitating a reboot.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

...My original TiBook went in for a dead HD (died during MWNY 2001 when I hit refresh in IE ) ...

Well, don't take it personally
  • Reply 6 of 7
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Well, don't take it personally

I only remember because I stayed home for some reason, then I realized MWNY 2001 was running on TechTV. So I fired up TechTV, and plugged in my Airport UFO so I could surf the Mac websites while I watched on TV. I had like 2 or 3 IE windows open at the same time. During one of Steve's product demos I decided to refresh all the open IE pages at the same time.

All of a sudden, the HD started making loud pinging noises and I had a hard crash in OS X. So, I spent the rest of the keynote running the hardware diagnostic disc, then calling Apple . To their credit, they had my Ti back to me in < 1 week.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I have a 20" iMac G5 with no hardware problems. It is a thing of beauty.

The hardware is rock solid. The only software issue is that periodically the network icons for other windoze machines on my home lan don't work. It is as if the address associated to the link is hosed up or something, and it is unclear how to get the mac os to "regenerate' the contents of it's equivalent of the network neighborhood.

After some unknown period of time it seems to recache things and they work as they should. People have mentioned this problem on the apple support site with no info provided by apple. I'd imagine if they talked to engineering they could find out how the OS generates the list of machines on a lan and how to force a refresh of it. Oh well.

Other than that, as stated this is a beautiful system. Much more stable than my constantly overheating and shutting down AMD 64 3400 laptop.