pc/mac home network. Cant configure

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Have been through all help files and still no joy.

Using XP Pc as server (I think) and osx on mac. Tried apple talk and the mac registers the workgroup and my pc name just wont connect.

PC just doesnt see anything at all

Both on ethernet tried with and without router...same results

Any ideas anyone??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Try setting up Home networking on the PC and connecting to it with a mac. The Mac has the ability to connect to the PC using Microsoft's protocall. That's what I use here, anyways.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Also, since you didn't mention it, make sure that Windows sharing is turned on in OSX. It's a checkbox under the sharing panel of the system preferences. If you have a firewall on your Mac, make sure that you check to allow Windows sharing through the firewall in the firewall tab.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Cheers,

will keep you posted.

Delphi
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Nice One!

Got all that sorted out.

Any ideas how to configure internet explorer on the mac to access my broadband connection on the pc?

Ended up using a tcp/ip protocall in network preferences for my network setup.

Cheers

Delphi
  • Reply 5 of 6
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    if you just want the mac to use the pcs internet connection, you'll have to set the pcs ip in the macs ethernet settings as router and dns server. that should do it i guess.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ic1maleic1male Posts: 121member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Delphi

Any ideas how to configure internet explorer on the mac to access my broadband connection on the pc?

Ended up using a tcp/ip protocall in network preferences for my network setup.

You should just be able to enable Internet Connection Sharing on your broadband connection. This runs a mini DHCP server and your Mac will then get an IP address from your XP box and configure itself with the right information.