World Series (baseball) 2004

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
All I have to say is that the Red Sox are just begging for another Buckner moment with the craptacular fielding job they're doing.

Cardinals' new strategy: hit everything to the third base side.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I don't care about anything but the fact that if the Red Sox win, I get no physics homework for the remainder of the year.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    adamraoadamrao Posts: 175member
    I picked Cardinals in 6 and I try to root for the NL whenever I can (Rockies fan; not like they're going to be there anytime soon!). However, the Red Sox are hard to root against! They pulled the greatest comeback in baseball history by winning 4 straight against the Yankees and it looks like they're going to break the curse.

I like the World Series better when it's a team I hate (either the Yankees or the Braves) verse anyone else. These two teams that I don't despise makes for interesting viewing, but difficult cheering. 2001 and 2003 were great series'. 'Tis life.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

All I have to say is that the Red Sox are just begging for another Buckner moment with the craptacular fielding job they're doing.

Cardinals' new strategy: hit everything to the third base side.

Except the nagging issue that Bill Mueller is a fantastic fielder, you're absolutely right... With Orlando Cabrera and Mueller on the left vs Bellhorn and Millar on the right, I'll gladly squirt the ball to the right.

The difference between the Cardinals and Red Sox offense in the two Fenway games is how the Cardinals didn't know how to use the Green Monster to their advantage. Any typical warning track flyball in other parks becomes an automatic double...and that's how the Sox scored most of their runs all year, including in the first 2 games of the WS.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    God only knows why they didn't small-ball Shilling in that last game either. I know a lot of people hate that, but I loved watching the 7th game of the NLCS for the tension and tactics, plus of course it was a natural advantage with a hobbled pitcher on the mound, almost totally unable to cover first, let alone pick up a bunt.

Yeah, I actually think the Sox are really good through the middle: Veritek (he actually blocks balls instead of reaching for them), Cabrera and Damon are all good fielders. Mueller usually is too, just that I was picking on the performance of the left side -- Mueller and Ramirez -- in the last two games. Still, the Cards to have better D and for whatever reason, the Cards' pitchers either haven't done a great job of getting those infield outs like they usually do.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    More reason to hit to the right side... Ortiz will have to play 1B instead of DH. I totally forgot about that.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Ah, completely forgot! Does this mean we get to watch Pedro "swing" at three pitches too?!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Ah, completely forgot! Does this mean we get to watch Pedro "swing" at three pitches too?!

Apparently we don't have to watch him swing. 8) At least pedro would run the bases right. 27 outs to go.