safari troubles

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
hi all,

browsed the forums but couldn't find an answer, so here i go:

I'm running Safari 1.2.3 (v125.9) on my 12" PB 867 with 640 MB ram and X.3.5 on it.

On safari, I've got a few dozens bookmarks on the bookmarks line (I usually put them there, so it's not really well organised.

Here's the trouble. It happens in two typical cases:

- first, when I'm typing an address in the address bar, I hit return, then I have an error such as "Safari can not load www.url.com because server was not found". When I reload the page (either using reload button or clicking enter again), the page loads without problem. Happens once every 2 times.

- second, i'm for instance on google on a results page. I shift-click a link for a tab viewing, usually it loads in the new tab, then I get the same error msg as above. Usually, same solution applies, too. Happens once every 2 times or so.

I've just tried flushing my history, for now, but I guess it's linked with my prefs... I'm afraid to loose everything (that is, bookmarks) if i trash the prefs.

Any ideas ?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I only get those messages when I loose my airport connection or there is something wrong with my ISP or the site. So you might want to check your connections. If you are going wireless, how many bars do you have?

reg
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by reg

I only get those messages when I loose my airport connection or there is something wrong with my ISP or the site. So you might want to check your connections. If you are going wireless, how many bars do you have?

reg

for me it happens when I'm hooked to a network via Ethernet.

I don't experience the problem neither with OmniWeb, nor with Firefox, so I guess it's a Safari-related pb.

Additional question: what will happen if I reinstall Safari only ?, and how can I save my bookmarks ? where is the bookmarks file hidden ?

thks
  • Reply 3 of 6
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by yogixfromparis

- first, when I'm typing an address in the address bar, I hit return, then I have an error such as "Safari can not load www.url.com because server was not found". When I reload the page (either using reload button or clicking enter again), the page loads without problem. Happens once every 2 times.

I use to get this quite often in Safari. I use Firefox almost always now, so I don't know if the problem still exists on my machine.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I just recently aquired this problem. It happens in IE, OmniWed 5.0, Opera and Safari. I don't know if it is at the ISP end. All I know is; it happens in all browsers, and only recently. It's very annoying.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    i get this problem once in a while, maybe once every 100 pages or so, it's annoying then, i can't imagine how annoying it must be for you. maybe repair your permissions, that might fix it, but i have no idea... sorry