iSpeculate

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This is my shot, then iQuit.

The "center of your digital lifestyle" isn't going to be a Mac. It's going to be your iPod. Every Mac shipped from the 7th on will have a slot for docking your iPod. You designate your "home" Mac and the iPod syncs home directories just like iTunes and the iPod sync MP3s. Got 6 GBs of pirated Adobe apps in your "warez" subdirectory? You're given the option of excluding subdirectories. Need that copy of Black Light on every Mac you use? Create an "Applications" sub-directory in your "Home" directory.

Move to Aunt Sally's iMac, slot that puppy in, log out and log in to *your* computer. Go to work, there's *your* computer on the PowerMac. Slot it into your iBook, TiBook, or (I hope) your iPad, you're using "your" computer on the train ride home. Visiting Japan? There's your desktop and applications on that Japanese iMac.

God, this makes so much sense to me that it's almost certainly wrong.

But what have the "rumor sites" been speculating most about? The possible future role of the iPod? (Why's it called the iPod and not the iPlayer?, etc).

Make sense? iGuess you'll let me know.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    If you're that concerned about having 'your' mac with you when you go on the train, to aunt sally's or to Japan, then I suspect apple would rather have you dole out the $$$ for an iBook or a TiBook. - that and a straight up firewire drive would serve the same purpose.

I believe that the iPod does have a big part in it though... the iPod is much better designed to act as a deployment device for music movies and photos...all we need is the interface(s) for the last two. I'm not suggesting that you'd actually view movies or photos on the iPod - the screen is not designed for that and I think a color screen would blow the price through the roof - but use the iPod's controls to output to a TV or iDock or something...

Mac for editing/organizing media, iPod for taking it with you.

rr.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Yeah, but see, if you wanted to utilize this feature you'd have to buy *all new Macs* with the iPod slot. With a truly compelling new feature (well, it's truly compelling to *me*) like that, why, it's upgrade avalanche time. EBay'll be *swamped* with old Macs.

I dunno, maybe I'm just easily iMused.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    why does it (ipod) need to have a specific "dock" or slot with a mac? i think the idea that it needs some sort of special place to sit connected to your computer or other such device beyond a firewire cable to be very unnecessary and lame.

just my 2 cents.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: running with scissors ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Mostly because just using a FW cable ain't gonna sell an @$$load of new Macs which, like it or not, is Apple's reason for existance.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Wait wasn't this in another topic on the boards somewhere?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    bandalaybandalay Posts: 116member
    [quote]Originally posted by running with scissors:

<strong>why does it (ipod) need to have a specific "dock" or slot with a mac? i think the idea that it needs some sort of special place to sit connected to your computer or other such device beyond a firewire cable to be very unnecessary and lame.

just my 2 cents.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: running with scissors ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Because stringing cables between devices is clumsy and aesthetically unattractive - too much clutter.

Because the iPod is just the storage device, but is light on interface. One way to continue to make devices smaller and lighter is to separate their components (we saw that in the Cube - power supply is on the floor?). They can mingle when we need to swap data, but can work independently. I don't need to carry my iBook to listen to MP3s anymore...

Because I doubt Apple will enable functionality that replicates any of the computing capabilities of their computer line. The dighub and Apple appliances is all about purpose building devices for single specific purposes.

Cause it looks <a href="http://www.screenimages.com/pages/apple/dflp.jpg"; target="_blank">cool</a>.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: bandalay ]</p>