Is this plausible?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Scenario: I buy that 20" iMac & it's a charmer BUT can't play some games well enuff & chokes on a coupla demanding jobs i do.... so, a few months later i can afford th single 1.8 PM w/decent graphic chip - no new monitor- but that's ok cos i just plug it into my iMac (w/appropriate input) & thanx to something like xgrid (or allenmcjones' "Wolf" maybe) i have a dual CPU setup w/great graphics capability & nice monitor.

Even if th iMac's CPU was dedicated to just running th OS plus managing th processing stream leaving th PM's CPU to run apps unhindered i'd consider this a worthwhile trade-off.

[& a dual PM plugged in could really show off! th Trinity system.]

So - is there any real hardware limitation preventing this possibility? or is it just lack of DV input on th iMac? bus speeds need to match so only th single 1.8 could do it? fine...but couldn't th iMac's G5 make any adjustments needed in software if it's just running th OS & plug-in demands?

wouldn't th iMac make a worthwhile "smart" monitor allowing for such an upgrade path? kinda pricey screen i know but it would've paid for itself to some extent while it's used standalone.

is this just too much upgrade/reusability for Apple to consider?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.

• Reply 2 of 3
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I think you might be able to do some stuff with X11. Using your 100MB/s ethernet connection between the two machines, you should get pretty good response.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    I'd suggest a dual CPU (PowerMac or xServe) machine over an iMac and a single G5 PowerMac any day. If you need more serious power, buy a few xServes and a cluster them. But I get the feeling you aren't talking that high powered, as you mentioned using an iMac and games.