Good usage out of used/refurb older Mac to help someone switch?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Have you purchased an older Mac, a notebook, as a secondary computer and gotten good usage out of it?

I've got a new Powerbook G4 15" that I use for work/personal and I love it. I switched this past April from being a complete Windows user. I didn't have much experience with Mac's since I didn't know anyone who had one, but I used an iMac in my university computer labs a few times and was impressed.

My wife's 6 year old Compaq Presario notebook got her through pharmacy school and while she loves it do death, it is on its last legs. She says she won't switch when the time to replace it comes around, but I was thinking that if I could find a good buy on an older Mac notebook with enough performance so that browsing the internet doesn't feel like a chore and that will run this same familiar OS version, maybe it will do the job.

Personal experiences, thoughts, advice?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Anybody?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Honestly ...just buy a low end ibook new. The amount you'd save buying a used mac wouldn't be that much, since they hold good value. You're talking maybe saving $300, which in the long run isn't worth it IMO. You get a new ibook for 900 and it will last her a good 3-4 years. You buy an older laptop and i think that falls to 1-2 years tops. That's juts how i feel
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I agree with Squash. The refurb section of the Apple Store has 1 Ghz iBooks for $799.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by jessearl

My wife's 6 year old Compaq Presario notebook got her through pharmacy school and while she loves it do death, it is on its last legs. She says she won't switch when the time to replace it comes around, but I was thinking that if I could find a good buy on an older Mac notebook with enough performance so that browsing the internet doesn't feel like a chore and that will run this same familiar OS version, maybe it will do the job.

Well, usually i'd say the lowest iBook is a an utter bargain for the moment, but, look, how well does your marriage run? If she just stated to you, she won't switch (whatever that supposed to mean, er... to you), why bother (spell contradict to her) with a product that would make you vulnerable? Just pondering...

No offence intended, buddy

Do her (and yourself) a favor, buy her a little iPod. Perhaps from there will be something growing. What about that?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    get her the iBook. Light. Cheap. Portable.