How long should it take to render?

regreg
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I usually don't have long clips that are made into DVD's. This time I was taping my kids for an hour (Canon GL2). Cut out some so that the time was just under 55 minutes so I could use the 60 minute higher quality burn in iDVD. It still said that I had to use the 90 minute because the dvd would be longer than 60 minutes. I started the render and came back at 1 hour and it wasn't done. I came back every half hour for the next 3 hours and it never finished. I am using a dual 2.0 with 4 gig. Any idea on how long something like this will take?

Thanks reg

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by reg

I usually don't have long clips that are made into DVD's. This time I was taping my kids for an hour (Canon GL2). Cut out some so that the time was just under 55 minutes so I could use the 60 minute higher quality burn in iDVD. It still said that I had to use the 90 minute because the dvd would be longer than 60 minutes. I started the render and came back at 1 hour and it wasn't done. I came back every half hour for the next 3 hours and it never finished. I am using a dual 2.0 with 4 gig. Any idea on how long something like this will take?

Thanks reg

make sure your hard drives are set to "never sleep." i have read that this can cause they ridiculous encoding time. If you have quicktime pro, i would suggest rendering out the MPEG-2 from iMovie so that it's out of the way for iDVD (i use dvdsp3, so i'm assuming iDVD will import mpeg's). Keep in mind too that any transitions and menus that you added have to be rendered too. building those alpha transitions can add serious time.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I redid the whole thing. Things turned out better this time. The render took 60 minutes. This was better than I expected. I must have screwed up something on my first try. Thanks for the reminder about sleep.

reg