G5 Problems

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My brother accidently turned over my G5 a 2 week agos, it wasn't knocked over hard, and it was soft.

Twice, in the past two weeks, I leave my computer on all the time, I've came in to my room and found my computer making a loud blowing noise,and I look at my screen, and there a kernal panic message, telling me to restart my computer, any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Thanks.

Any way I can make sure? What do I need to look for, if I open it? I think this has happened even before he bumped it, I'm not sure. When this happens, my system isn't really hot.

Or I might just be having an OS error.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Why not call AppleCare?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    My one-year warranty just ran out.

I was thinking about installing the 1.6 single G5 firmware and see what happens, I'm NOT exactly sure my fan is loose, and I don't have the strength or will to pack up this giant thing and send it across country. (There are no apple stores around here, and compusa is is lousy.)
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Well, your next best bet then may be to open up your box and try to reseat everything to make sure all the internal components are in their correct spot. Otherwise, you'll probably be paying some $$$ to have someone fix it.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Well, your next best bet then may be to open up your box and try to reseat everything to make sure all the internal components are in their correct spot. Otherwise, you'll probably be paying some $$$ to have someone fix it.

How do I check the fan? See, what I'm saying is, I think the first time I had the panic was BEFORE it being turned over, so I might just be paranoid. I checked the panic log, and it didn't say anything relating to this morning's panic, but it did list something for Oct 22. The crashlog said some gibberish but I don't know what it means. Should I post it?

Oh, and just I update my firmware?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Have you reset PRAM & NVRAM? I believe this is usually recommended after a firmware update.

The 'gibberish' in the crash log wouldn't mean much to anyone other than the coder(s) of the program/function that caused the panic so I don't believe posting it would be of any benefit.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    How do I reset those?

I haven't installed the firmware update yet, when I get home in an hour, I install it, and reset what you've told me.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

Thanks.

Any way I can make sure? What do I need to look for, if I open it? I think this has happened even before he bumped it, I'm not sure. When this happens, my system isn't really hot.

Or I might just be having an OS error.

Is your door closed all of the way? Are your two doors (inside plastic and outside metal) fastened securely? Is there an object blocking the air intake/outtake?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I did have it sitting next to my desk, real close, and I had magazine on the floor, all around it. I'm slowly cleaning cleaning up that corner of my room, just moving stuff away from each other. I didn't realize it could affect it, I guess.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Dont apple systems have a hardware test cd? i would guess that this could clue you in...other than that, I would say to take the time to call apple before opening your box, particularly if you are not fermilliar with electronics service.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

I did have it sitting next to my desk, real close, and I had magazine on the floor, all around it. I'm slowly cleaning cleaning up that corner of my room, just moving stuff away from each other. I didn't realize it could affect it, I guess.

Think of the frontof your computer as a radiator on a car, if the grille gets covered by, say newspaper, the fan will not cool the radiator: thus you over heat, and on the back, think of those fans like an exaust pipe, and we all know what happens if you clog a tail pipe...