FCE2 Runs on G3

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Why doesn't apple support FCE2 on a G3. I purchased a copy of FCE2, and to my surprise, it required a G4 or G5. The fastest machine I have is a G3 600Mhz iMac. I started messing around with the installer packages and figured out a way to get it to at least install, bypassing the CPU check. Then I figured out a way to get rid of that message that says You do not have the required hardware to run this program. I thought great I can run it now, but it said something like Unkwown CPU, and still couldn't get it to start. But then I found this black icon command within the package contents of FCE2. It opened a unix shell, and bam! FCE2 Opened and it works great! It runs just fine on the G3, why does apple prevent you from doing this (or at least try)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

Why doesn't apple support FCE2 on a G3. I purchased a copy of FCE2, and to my surprise, it required a G4 or G5. The fastest machine I have is a G3 600Mhz iMac. I started messing around with the installer packages and figured out a way to get it to at least install, bypassing the CPU check. Then I figured out a way to get rid of that message that says You do not have the required hardware to run this program. I thought great I can run it now, but it said something like Unkwown CPU, and still couldn't get it to start. But then I found this black icon command within the package contents of FCE2. It opened a unix shell, and bam! FCE2 Opened and it works great! It runs just fine on the G3, why does apple prevent you from doing this (or at least try)?

Because there is a certin level of proformance below which the software becomes counter productive, sure you can do a litle basic editing (ala imovie) but to render large effects would take days... if not weeks.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Because there is a certin level of proformance below which the software becomes counter productive, sure you can do a litle basic editing (ala imovie) but to render large effects would take days... if not weeks.

But why would Apple cap their sales, limiting themselves to G4/G5 users?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

But why would Apple cap their sales, limiting themselves to G4/G5 users?

Maybe to get people to upgrade to a G4/G5 computer?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    rara Posts: 623member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Maybe to get people to upgrade to a G4/G5 computer?

Bingo.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    To get you to buy a new machine, or course.

FCP 1.25 worked great on a 333Mhz Beige G3 and I can still use it. One of the best features is to set rendering quality to low so it doesn't take days. I would do that with my Dual G5 if I could for more realtime capabilities. I still run into occasions where I have to sit and render.