Moved to GD: some advice for my wallet? (iBook)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm currently a student and looking to buy a new iBook as my next computer. I know I need portability (otherwise I'd be buying a dual G4 desktop) and I was just wondering which iBook would be best suited to my needs from the minds of people who own them. Here are my performance demands:

Studio MX (Flash, Dreamweaver, Freehand, Fireworks)

Photoshop

Unreal Tournament

Civ III

I dont play many games... and the two listed run fine on my iMac G3 500 w/ the Rage 128 graphics card. I'm a programmer, so I'll be taking the book with me to clieents as well as to class. So with durability in mind I naturally looked to the iBook. I guess I'm just looking for some insight as to what works great for my needs. Any and all heelp is appreciated! (1st post.. yaay!)

-Forrest

[ 11-06-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I'd say that the 12.1" with the combo drive is the sweet spot in terms of size, power and features. Bump up the ram to 384 (or 640 if you have the extra $50 or so), and it should be perfect. I don't play games on my 700 iBook, but if the games you listed run fine on Rage 128 graphics, then the Mobility Radeon should have no problem with them.

There's not much point in going with the 14", unless you like to see things a little bigger.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Think you can wait until tomorrow? Prices on iBooks are going to nosedive in about 9 hours.

Sorry to move your first thread here, but purchasing advice does belong in General Discussion. I'm moving it there...

Click <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=003011"; target="_blank">here</a> to find it.

[ 11-06-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>