iMac G5

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Does anyone have the new iMac yet and if so how do you like it?

How is it for modifying parts?

Easy access?

Suck or what?

Curious for future investment.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Have you looked at Apple's site to see how easy it is to open up? As to moding parts... what exactly are you thinking of changing? Most things are parts of the motherboard.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I have the 20"

It really is as easy to open up as Apple says.

I put in more ram... 2 slots, very easy access. Also an Airport card ... right on top as well.

In looking at it, the HD and optical drive should both be fairly easy to upgrade as well ... They are both out in the open ... nothing like the old G3 iMacs (I've never tore into a G4 iMac).
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I've got a 17" 1.8 and have taken it apart, it's really easy to do. I've had the main board out and removed the power supply, hard drive, dvd drive, memory, speakers, fans and even the bluetooth module.

Some of these are not "user serviceable" but they are still easy to get at.

You could strip it down and rebuild it in 20 minutes, maybe a little longer the first time due to the fear!

I stripped my G4 iMac twice, both times took around an hour, it's very cramped inside and there were cables everywhere.

As a matter of interest for anyone who thinks it would have been better if the power supply had been external so that there wasn't a "chin", if you take it out the balance point of the machine changes radically, it's much too easy to knock it over, the weight of the PS directly below the mounting point of the stand is crucial.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thanks for all the info on the new iMac G5! I like doing the upgrades myself.

I'll be buying one as soon as I get the funds...good to wait a bit anyway on new mods! After Xmas theres always more new stuff.