wondering if anyone knows if that El Gato tv recorder can display video

full screen?

Also, at Apple's web store I noticed that were two variations of the 6800 video

card. One is $100 cheaper. Does anyone know what the differences between

them are?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    The EyeTV 500 can. If I didn't have a HD PVR already, that would be the next best thing.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    For the best results, quality, and no latency, I recommend the Miglia Alchemy TV card. It cannot be used with laptops, but then again, neither can the monitor... You can check out the Alchemy here-

http://miglia.com/products/video/alc...dvr/index.html
  • Reply 3 of 19
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich

For the best results, quality, and no latency, I recommend the Miglia Alchemy TV card. It cannot be used with laptops, but then again, neither can the monitor... You can check out the Alchemy here-

http://miglia.com/products/video/alc...dvr/index.html

Do you use this card with EyeTV? Also, can you hook up a game system

through EyeTV to play videogames full screen?
  • Reply 4 of 19
    I do not personally own one, as I use a Powerbook, but I have read many good things about the card. Here is one place you can check out some reviews and such:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G5/Alchem...d_reports.html

This will in fact work with videogame systems and such, using either s-video or rca jacks.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    This isn't HD, though. You get a nice big hi-res 30" display with crappy low-res NTSC res.

Any new happenings on HD --> G5 --> ACD's? Some people can stream firewire HD mpeg out from their cablebox and capture it, but now theres that nasty encryption on a lot of the signals. De-5C.. anyone?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mello

Do you use this card with EyeTV? Also, can you hook up a game system

through EyeTV to play videogames full screen?

The problem with playing video games through tv cards is latency. Most PVR cards perform mpeg2 compression, which, being inter frame causes significant latency. Because the controller is connected directly to the console you will see your moves happening some time after you performed them.

However, basic tv tuner cards dont have this issue. Ive also tested the analoge capture of my DV cam and it is fine as well ( DV is not interframe compression ). Im keeping an eye out for a canopus ADVC 55, which is the same as my DV cam, minus the cam. It should work well. Of course, it doesnt have a tuner, and doesnt do any PVR.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    El-Gato's HD solution (the Eye-TV 500 I believe (for North America)) doesn't accept video inputs. It only receives HD over the airwaves. This means you can't hook it up to your HD cable box or HD satellite receiver and pump video to/thru your Mac.

Otherwise I'd probably have one hooked up to my iMac.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

El-Gato's HD solution (the Eye-TV 500 I believe (for North America)) doesn't accept video inputs. It only receives HD over the airwaves. This means you can't hook it up to your HD cable box or HD satellite receiver and pump video to/thru your Mac.

Otherwise I'd probably have one hooked up to my iMac.

I don't have one, and I haven't tried it, but it does have firewire, and my set-top box has firewire, so that should work.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonard

I don't have one, and I haven't tried it, but it does have firewire, and my set-top box has firewire, so that should work.

I don't know, I'm just going by what I read on the product pages for the El Gato 500.

Quote:

As shown at http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetv500

EyeTV 500 is a feature-rich digital video recorder for digital terrestrial television (ATSC). Watch, record, timeshift, edit and archive free over-the-air HDTV and digital standard-definition television (SDTV) on your Mac in crystalline digital quality. The recorded shows can also be exported into different video formats for editing in iMovie®, iDVD?, Final Cut Pro® or DVD Studio Pro®.

So you can use for over the air HDTV, or regular (SDTV?) from cable box, but not HDTV from cable box.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    See this forum for info on HD to firewire from dig. cable

HDTV via firewire

but the problem is that a lot of providers use the 5C encryption on the firewire out now, so 'no go' if thats the case.

There will likely be ways around this nonsense eventually. Its not like pirating cable or anything, I just want to watch HD through my apple display. WTF!?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks i should be able to display my HD signals from whatever source on my beautiful HD res capable apple display. Why should I have to buy another display just to watch HD? What about a DVI to firewire adapter?
  • Reply 12 of 19
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibuzz

What about a DVI to firewire adapter?

Two VERY different things. But you can buy a converter that can send a VGA signal over Cat5. Can't plug the Cat5 into a network or anything like that.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Two VERY different things. But you can buy a converter that can send a VGA signal over Cat5. Can't plug the Cat5 into a network or anything like that.

I must admit my ignorance. What is cat 5? My satellite receiver is HD (sony) and can output HD via DVI, VGA, and component out. Is there a way to display HD signals on my nice new 20" iMac display? Ah the digital life.8)
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibuzz

I must admit my ignorance. What is cat 5? My satellite receiver is HD (sony) and can output HD via DVI, VGA, and component out. Is there a way to display HD signals on my nice new 20" iMac display? Ah the digital life.8)

Cat5 is networking cable. You know that cable running between computers, or to your cable/DSL modem? That's Cat5 cable.

I'm with you hoping there's a way to display HD on the G5 iMac since I have a 20" model as well. I just don't see a way to do it though.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Also, at Apple's web store I noticed that were two variations of the 6800 video

card. One is $100 cheaper. Does anyone know what the differences between

them are?

there is the 6800 Ultra and the 6800 GT. the ultra has a little more power, i.e. a few more million polygons or so, among other things, but the GT is more readily available. the ultra is still way behind on shipments, so they suggest the GT. both power the 30inch screen and everything, so really, theres no huge advantage to getting the ultra. when you go to the BTO part of the ordering process, you can click the little blue "Learn More" button to see a big page on it
  • Reply 16 of 19
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich

I do not personally own one, as I use a Powerbook, but I have read many good things about the card. Here is one place you can check out some reviews and such:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G5/Alchem...d_reports.html

This will in fact work with videogame systems and such, using either s-video or rca jacks.

The AlchemyTV DVR doesn't have latency?

can anyone confirm?
  • Reply 17 of 19
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    What would be cool would be a version of the EyeTV software that can record from a cable box over Firewire - why buy a box when all you need is a cable? Of course it would only work in places where DTCP/5C isn't used.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    What is the difference between AlchemyTV and Alchemy TV DVR? Is the former analogue while the latter digital? From their website, it looks like they are both analogue cards!

My gripe is that there are not many options for digital TV for Macs, while there are tons for Wintel boxes and often at 1/3 the price! (in Australia).

EDIT: Looks like the only difference is just that the latter comes with recording software, while the former does not. Both are analogue... Is there a digital PCI card for macs?
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Just found this site http://www.defyne.org/dvb/ Looks like it is possible to get regular Wintel Digital TV cards and make it work on the Mac for 1/3 the price of Elgato! The drivers and software seem to be in active development, so it can only get better.

I'll try this in the new year when I get back to my PMG5. Will be doing some travelling in a few days and will only have a TiBook during that time.