Superdrive Upgrade for Old Powerbooks?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have my Ti800 (DVI) that I'm still completely happy with, despite this impressive upgrade. I'd love to swap a Superdrive in for my combo, though.

I wonder if Apple will offer some sort of upgrade program?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Steve says..............

"BUY A NEW ONE, they're sexy."
  • Reply 2 of 10
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    well?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    to be honest...I doubt Apple will offer a Superdrive upgrade for previous TiBook owners. They want you to buy the newer ones, not keep your older machines. Maybe a third party manufacturer will come up with something, but don't hold you breath.

What not just get an external FW DVD-R/RW?

It's not like you will be burning DVD's everyday.

- trowa
  • Reply 4 of 10
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    [quote]Originally posted by trowa:

<strong>to be honest...I doubt Apple will offer a Superdrive upgrade for previous TiBook owners. </strong><hr></blockquote>

They offered a combodrive update to tibook users when the tibooks first started shipping with a combo drive....but that was a different situation i think. Apple wants you to upgrade. If you update to a combodrive now you may wait 3 years to buy a new machine instead of buying a new one 2 years from now.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I think it will happen, just not from Apple. And, while it's a nice feature to have for a complete desktop replacement solution, to be honest, it's still a little slow for aggravation free burning. Cool for data back-up though.

I think it would be better for Apple to sort out their MPEG-LA issues regarding iDVD, so you can hook up a faster external drive and still use Apple's solution. DVD won't really be ready untill we have 4-8X speeds. I know, I use a 4X Sony CD burner. It's nice, doesn't make any coasters, even on my POS AMD300, but waiting for it to finish is a royal pain. At a mere 16X my brother's burner is MUCH MUCH less frustrating.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    they arnt even offering it as an option on the 867 model... so why would they on the 800 or 667? could they even handle the proc power to prevent buffer under run errors? maybe thats why it isnt on the low end...
  • Reply 7 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by trowa:

<strong>

What not just get an external FW DVD-R/RW?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Probably because they don't work with iDVD and people don't wanna spend the money on DVD Studio Pro.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Reports are that there's barely enough slot-loading Superdrives to fullfill expected new orders. I seriously doubt any other vendor will offer such a drive until other computer makers use slot drives. Apple is having them basically custom made for the TiBook. Since the drive is very slow in buring DVDs I seriously doubt you'd want to do it when just on battery power.

[ 11-07-2002: Message edited by: MacsRGood4U ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 10
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    Even if they did offer an upgrade program, it would probably cost $500 for the drive and labor. They wouldn't give you any compensation for your combo drive since there's nothing they can do with it.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    I disagree . I think MCE technologies will be the first to offer the pioneer swap out service.. IF the video on your TiBook can handle DVD it.

TC