WEP Airport Extreme Help...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Does anyone know why my powerbook with a airport extreme card cannot join my linksys wireless network when I enable WEP Security? It works fine until I switch the security on. I've double checked the password (key) and thats not it. I have 2 PC laptops that work fine on the network either secured or unsecured. Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Does your key begin with "$" (w/out quotes)?

eg:

$A8G4JD56WJ54OIDCN
  • Reply 2 of 7
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    No, it doesn't. Should it?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    Tried that and it worked! Thanks for the tip!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    So what's the deal with the $ sign? Just guessing, but is that to denote the following string is a hexadecimal sequence or something?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    regreg Posts: 832member
    You are correct.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106250

Many third-party wireless access points use a WEP key or a password entered either as a string of hexadecimal numbers or as five ASCII characters.

To connect Mac OS X to a third-party wireless access point that is configured to use WEP, format your password one of these two ways:

1. Hexadecimal - precede the string with a dollar sign ($). For example: $123456789a

2. ASCII - enclose the characters in double quotes ("). For example: "magic"

I have only had to use the $ at sites that require WEP if they were not airport base stations.

reg
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I have a linksys router with WEP on and my iBook works fine withouth the $ sign.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Why don't you use WPA encryption anyway, more secure, well...