Konfabulator for Windows

rokrok
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
well, Arlo Rose has ported Konfabulator over to Windows. excerpted from macminute:

Quote:

Konfabulator to make Windows debut Monday

November 4, 2004 - 14:19 EST

With Apple threatening to push his product aside, longtime Mac developer Arlo Rose has moved his Konfabulator software to Windows, reports CNET News.com.

"Back in June, Apple announced that it would offer a feature called Dashboard as part of its next version of Mac OS X, code-named Tiger. The feature, which allows easy access to a variety of small applications called widgets, is remarkably similar to Konfabulator. Rose's software also uses the term widgets to describe the types of plug-in programs it enables, small graphical applications that sit on the desktop and offer stock quotes, weather information, and so on. Rose, who once worked at Apple and now heads up a small company called Pixoria, said the new version will be available Monday."

well, i know he's mad at apple, and i wish him luck in this endeavor. but how much you wanna bet he just does not understand the headache he just volunteered himself for?

also, what is up with his "10 days journal" thing? i mean, i guess i get where he's going with this (konfabulator for both platforms), but i mean, it seems a bit obsessive... it's like writing long poetry to two women, one who dumped you, and the other who doesn't even know you exist.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Well, with Dashboard coming out in Tiger, how is he able to compete against free (sound slightly familiar)?

I'd say he didn't have much of a choice if he wanted to continue selling Konfabulator beyond the release of Tiger.

What would you have done, knowing your software will be obsolete by mid-2005?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Arlo likely had plans to port to windows from the inception of the Konfabulator idea.

Why else would you spend a majority of your programming environment creating the runtime environment for the widgets? This will undoubtedly hit the eRags as "Apple forces another developer to go windows" I can heard the FUD Creator firing up right now.

Fact is Konfabulator is Dashboard with a Runtime Lock In. Apple simply developed Dashboard without the encumberance of a Runtime environment because Dashboard was going to be free from day 1.

All I have to say is go Konfabulator!! I wish no ill will of Arlo and company.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Isn't there something similar (forgot the name) and free already available for Windows?

Maybe Steve will make Dashboard widgets run in Quicktime 7 for Windows just to jab Arlo one last time.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

All I have to say is go Konfabulator!! I wish no ill will of Arlo and company.

neither do i, but he's just signed himself up for a LOT more support calls, and what's he gonna do when redmond decides that longhorn, already delayed beyond stupidity, could really use an ms-tweaked javascript engine included while they're at it?

ugh, i just had a thought... care to guess how sinfully ugly windows widgets are going to be?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

also, what is up with his "10 days journal" thing? i mean, i guess i get where he's going with this (konfabulator for both platforms), but i mean, it seems a bit obsessive... it's like writing long poetry to two women, one who dumped you, and the other who doesn't even know you exist.

I believe he is trying to imitate Myst. He has done it quite well in my opinion. It has the same tone and everything. Congrats on a good idea.

If you havnt played the game, you are missing out and should. Then you might understand the alusion.

Cheers,

MacRules101
  • Reply 6 of 6
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macrules101

I believe he is trying to imitate Myst. He has done it quite well in my opinion. It has the same tone and everything. Congrats on a good idea.

If you havnt played the game, you are missing out and should. Then you might understand the alusion.

Cheers,

MacRules101

ah, okay. i never played myst (i didn't have a computer with a cd drive at the time... powerbook 165c).