New ibooks monitor spanning?!?!?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey,

Has anyone with a new ibook know if it can span monitors? If not has anyone tried the hack w/ the new video card?

I currently have a 700 Combo 12.1 and thinking of upgrading b/c of bigger hard drive and vram. The final straw is monitor spanning...

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Nope, they can't do monitor spanning. People could probably try the hack one someone actually gets one of these new iBooks

and why don't you try the hack on your iBook since it worrks with the 700MHz iBooks?
  • Reply 2 of 37
    I have a new 800Mhz G3 (ordered yesterday morning, came this afternoon), but I am afraid to be the first to try it out.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Does zapping the NVRAM sort out Open Firmware mistakes?

To zap the NVRAM hold down cmd+option+p+r when cold booting your Mac. Wait for two or three sets of chimes.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,056member
    [quote]Originally posted by Awimoway:

<strong>I have a new 800Mhz G3 (ordered yesterday morning, came this afternoon), but I am afraid to be the first to try it out. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't be afraid. As the next poster says, you can easily reset the parameter ram with option+command+p+r held down at reboot.

There are thousands of folks all over this web looking for the answer you can give us right now. Do you have an external monitor to hook it up to? PLEASE try the hack. Do you have a copy of the hack? Here's the URL to exactly how to do it and what to type:

<a href="http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html"; target="_blank">http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html</a>;

Are you there? Please do it for those of us who need to know. Don't you want to know too?
  • Reply 5 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by Multimedia:

<strong>

Don't be afraid. As the next poster says, you can easily reset the parameter ram with option+command+p+r held down at reboot.

There are thousands of folks all over this web looking for the answer you can give us right now. Do you have an external monitor to hook it up to? PLEASE try the hack. Do you have a copy of the hack? Here's the URL to exactly how to do it and what to type:

<a href="http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html"; target="_blank">http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html</a>;

Are you there? Please do it for those of us who need to know. Don't you want to know too?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah and if it kills his iBook are you going to buy him a new one?
  • Reply 6 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

Yeah and if it kills his iBook are you going to buy him a new one?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It won't KILL it. And yes I would buy him a new one if it did. Don't you know about this hack. It is nondestructive. You just reboot with the option+command+p+r keys depressed to return the PRAM back to the factory settings. Are you daft?!
  • Reply 7 of 37
    asaphasaph Posts: 176member
    [quote]Originally posted by Multimedia:

<strong>

It won't KILL it. And yes I would buy him a new one if it did. Don't you know about this hack. It is nondestructive. You just reboot with the option+command+p+r keys depressed to return the PRAM back to the factory settings. Are you daft?!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, I ordered the new top of the line iBook (for a few months, anyhow) and I'm just waiting for my new baby to arrive. I would be willing to try out the hack if/when you could provide me with the reasoning behind why it will not kill my new iBook. Until then I'll sit here in eager anticipation for the shipment.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    hey, you get a warrenty with that iBook....go wild, if it breaks, send it back to apple...g
  • Reply 9 of 37
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    1. The firmware patch kills older iBooks, so it could quite possibly kill the new ones. Zapping NVRAM be damned.

2. Gelding, patching your own firmware with a non-Apple hack voids the warranty.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    Tell people that zapping their pram will fix their iBook when they tried the OF hack with 600-500 MHz iBooks. Im sure they would love to laugh at you because they have tried that, removing their batteries for over 48 hours, and everything short of tossing it out a window to fix it. Going into OF is DANGEROUS and can make a useless BLOB OF PLASTIC that cost you &gt; $1000. My advice would be to only try the OF modification that acts for the one restart. That way if it does not work you are covered by a hard restart. If it indeed works and you want to risk it you would try the permanent one.

A@ron
  • Reply 11 of 37
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    perhaps apple can "offer" a spanning model of the iBook for an extra 30 bucks or so that allows spanning without the hack??? won't cost them any, so it is free profit...they don't have to offer it on the cheapest one, but maybe only the 800 MHz models....g
  • Reply 12 of 37
    DP

[ 11-08-2002: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by serrano:

<strong>1. The firmware patch kills older iBooks, so it could quite possibly kill the new ones. Zapping NVRAM be damned.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thank you. That's why I said what I said.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    icruiseicruise Posts: 127member
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>perhaps apple can "offer" a spanning model of the iBook for an extra 30 bucks or so that allows spanning without the hack??? won't cost them any, so it is free profit...they don't have to offer it on the cheapest one, but maybe only the 800 MHz models....g</strong><hr></blockquote>

It costs them in the sense that it might cause some people to buy ibooks rather than Powerbooks, and Apple makes a lot more money on Powerbooks. The whole reason it is disabled in the first place is to make the Powerbooks seem more feature-laden and powerful.

Unless you really want to make use of this yourself and are also willing to take a pretty big risk with your brand-new machine, wait for someone else to try. Believe me, someone will, if they haven't all ready. We don't know what could happen -- the hack doesn't work with some machines that have the same video cards, but different processor speeds, and we don't really know why. It is entirely possible that it won't work (or at least won't work in its current form) with the new machines. Apple might even have disabled it on purpose, since this has been getting a fair amount of press in the apple world.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by icruise:

<strong>

It costs them in the sense that it might cause some people to buy ibooks rather than Powerbooks, and Apple makes a lot more money on Powerbooks. The whole reason it is disabled in the first place is to make the Powerbooks seem more feature-laden and powerful.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

But if people know that there's a way to get it to work on iBooks then I doubt they'd go for the Powerbook if they didn't have to.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    According to this <a href="http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=8300945231&m=6750994835"; target="_blank">thread</a> at ARS, it works.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    icruiseicruise Posts: 127member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

But if people know that there's a way to get it to work on iBooks then I doubt they'd go for the Powerbook if they didn't have to.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Possibly, but a lot of people don't frequent these kinds of forums, so I think most don't know this is possible, and a lot of people wouldn't consider doing it anyway. It would be a different story if Apple included it as an official feature. But I don't really want to be in the position of defending this -- I think that purposely crippling hardware to make the high-end options more attractive sucks.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    i don't know...seems that people who want a G4 get the powerbook, people who can't afford that much get an iBook....maybe when apple puts a G4 in the iBook this will become an issue, but not now....apple can boast this as a great thing for the iBook....something like, "see how usefull and powerfull our little comsumer laptop is, just add an Apple Monitor and it is two computers in one"....as for [quote] Possibly, but a lot of people don't frequent these kinds of forums, so I think most don't know this is possible, and a lot of people wouldn't consider doing it anyway <hr></blockquote> talking about the hack.....well without these boards i wouldn't even know and now covet spanning, alot of people don't know this is possible with any laptop (sure the kids and the geeks do, but not parents and others near death...you know, anyone over thirty)....i really think people who buy iBooks don't need to do video editing and stuff on the go and don't have the extra dough to spend...people who buy PowerBooks either need the G4 and power or have extra monies to throw about...i really don't see spanning on the iBook stealing too many sales from the powerbook, but could help steal sales from dell and gateway and such....make it seem like a deal, "for only thirty dollars more it is like getting a desktop and a laptop" and then make the hack work only with Apple lcds somehow....more sells of iBooks and more sells of apple flatscreens....i would love a powerbook, but it is hard to justify close to 3000 bucks for something i want but don't need.....i can more easily convince myself to get an iBook for half the cost of the PB even though i really don't need it either....the ability to span to a larger monitor when i use the iBook at home would be one more very nice incentive to go ahead and throw some bucks apple's way.....g

sorry for the long, rambling post
  • Reply 19 of 37
    these quotes at ARS (EbOy's link above) support my crazed rant....spanning will sell iBooks to people who might not buy anything now (more sells for apple, not lost sales of PB)...

[quote] This is bad news for me, though, as the odds of me being a complete goofus and buying a new iBook have just gone up a little more....

Erik <hr></blockquote>

[quote]

Doshin, you, my friend, have just cost me about $2000. (iBook +upgrade to 40gb, + iPod + RAM + AppleCare +maybe a printer so I can finally print from OS X. <hr></blockquote>

[ 11-09-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 37
    thegelding, Apple's LCDs can't work with iBooks because they have VGA, not DVI or ADC.