My PMG5 Rev C. /imac and other ideas

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
For the next PowerMac G5 or iMac rev ., I'd suggest:

-8.5GBps memory bandwith (easy achieved if moved to PCI Express, Intel's high-end 925XE has the exact RAM bandwith)

-2.2/2.4/2.8GHz

-256MB or 512 RAM ( 256mb is likely- it's what Apple chooses to supply with their pro Macs)

-U4/U4H IC (with PCI Express, depending if IBM makes a chipset for a PCI Express PPC970fx)

-9600XT/6800 series graphics (X800 BTO)

-8x Superdrive (Apple would need to add system-level for dual-layer, if they were going to add)

iMac:

1.8/2.0GHz 970fx for better cooling/heat levels

256MB RAM

4x superdrive

64MB FX5200 (runs very cool on my PC, and suits the enclosure well)

Software:-DVD's-Finding Nemo (that is a Pixar release), THPS Underground 2(wished it would be ported), Invader Zim DVD's (very good sellers on Amazon.com, and a cult Nickelodeon show). This gets me thinking-seeing as Nickelodeon is a well-known television channel brand and synmonous with kid's TV, a partnership would be great (a Nickelodeon iPod-orange and on back images of popular Nicktoons characters, exclusive Nick trailers,etc on iTMS)-There's a videoNow out which is bascially in my view a dumbed down kid's version of the iPod just for 8-inch discs like a mini dvd that contain video (which there's Nickelodeon content available). I strongly don't think Apple would do the latter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    ..that all sounds great, but after all those months of waiting for an update, you know it'll be just be a tiny speed bump lol
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I'd love to see that, but it's probably wishful thinking. No way the low end Power Mac will hit 2.2GHz. I say 2.0GHz tops, or dual 1.8GHz (currently it's single 1.8).
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    They've just brought out the single 1.8 below the dual 1.8 that was the base G5. Even Apple wouldn't get rid of it again and say they have upped the base speed to dual 1.8.

Base will stay as a single, other 3 will stay dual.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    8 x speed slot loaders were recently announced so expect them in the next iMac and pbook revs..
  • Reply 5 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    The one thing I noticed is the superdrive is already 8x. Mine is, and it's 2 models old. You can already buy the 16x version of Superdrive from Pioneer.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    thttht Posts: 5,447member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Invader Zim

For the next PowerMac G5 or iMac rev ., I'd suggest:

-8.5GBps memory bandwith (easy achieved if moved to PCI Express, Intel's high-end 925XE has the exact RAM bandwith)

PCI Express has nothing to do with memory bandwidth. The 1 GHz and 1.25 GHz buses on the dual 2 and 2.5 GHz PowerMac G5 already support 8 and 10 GByte/s aggregate bandwidth as it is. Apple just has to change the memory controller to support PC4200 DDR SDRAM or PC2-5200 DDR-2 memory.

With the 970fx, Apple has no FSB issues whatsoever anymore. Now, it'll be cool if that could add a Rambus XDR SDRAM dedicated L3 cache to the thing. A nice little quad-channel, 1 chip per channel, 128/256 MByte L3 cache capable of 30+ Gbyte/s bandwidth. At least I think so.

Quote:

2.2/2.4/2.8GHz

Concur.

Quote:

-256MB or 512 RAM ( 256mb is likely- it's what Apple chooses to supply with their pro Macs)

I will bet that Apple will move into the present and ship 512 MB standard for the next rev!

Quote:

-9600XT/6800 series graphics (X800 BTO)

I think it will be the GeForce 6600 or Radeon 9700, all 128 MB.

Quote:

iMac:

64MB FX5200 (runs very cool on my PC, and suits the enclosure well)[/b]

GeForce FX 5700? Radeon 9600? Can't imagine Apple staying with the same graphics card (FX 5200).
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

I will bet that Apple will move into the present and ship 512 MB standard for the next rev!

GeForce FX 5700? Radeon 9600? Can't imagine Apple staying with the same graphics card (FX 5200).

I agree with both of these, 512 should be standard across the pro line, and Apple has taken alot of heat about the 5200 already, if they can cool it, I expect at least a BTO improvement here, to a 5700 or 9600, as you said. Plus, with Tiger coming, a graphics improvement is really nessasary to maintain good performance on the iMac.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Well when the original G4 iMac was first announced fitting a 17" or 20" display to it would have been unthinkable - and then over time Apple did it.

I guess there is nothing to stop Apple from creating a 23" and 30" iMac - imagine that.

All it'll take is a little time for the component costs to come down. I reckon by 2006 we could be staring into a 23" iMac...
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I know that the G5 iMac was recently released... and I'm not expecting anything soon... but does anyone have any idea when the next update on the machines will be? I am not in a rush to buy, but, when they do arrive, I plan on getting one and am just wondering how far down the line that is and if anything other than minor speed bumps can be expected.

Ideally I would like to get one with Tiger pre-loaded.

Thanks for any thoughts on this matter.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Well, Tiger could come out anytime between January and June, and likewise for the iMac. So I'd say it's all very much up in the air, and a lot depends on IBM.