My thoughts on 8A294 (aka: Tiger Beta)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi everyone,

since I´m quite excited about the new features in Tiger, I thought I´ll let you know about the things I stumbled across so far...

1) Now why are the buttons for spotlight and the apple-menu grey instead of blue? Changing the colors from aqua to graphite didn´t change it, and they become blue when active. I´m curious because I´ve seen screenshots where they are blue, so...

2) The ability to publish iCal calenders via FTP did not work for me - it said "<URL> is not a valid location for this request", but I find this particulary feature really neat - I look forward to seeing this in the final version :3

3) Indexing a Volume seems to take very long (4 hours and counting on a iBook G4 800Mhz with 640MB), but maybe I should mention that I installed the system in my iPod, so.... any other opinions about this one?

4) Quicktime seems to profit from the small, but nice facelifting, but having these "PRO FEATURES" greyed out is not the way it should be IMHO, but on the other hand, it shows people some "reasons" (fullscreen? HA!) for byuing Pro.

5) Mail - looks very different, is very cool - to me, the smart folders are more or less folders with enhanced rules applied to them. I have yet to find the option to compose HTML-Mails ( I remember hearing about this option)

I also found a option called "synchronise Accounts" - I wonder if this reveals the underlying new sync engine...

6) Dashboard - Boy, you´ve got to see this in the final... it´s amazing. The only sign of it being a beta was the fact that I did not see the coregraphics effect of the apps "surfacing" on your screen - I wonder why, because I saw betas doing this already (Remember the WWDC beta?)

Now, to make the admins happy:

I know this is a beta, and I know there are rough ends.

This thread is no way ment to encourage people to download the *.dmg illegally.

The sole purpose of this thread is to talk about the beta and my personal experience with it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Not that I condone the illegal download & install on an iPod hard drive of all devices, but is it possible to test the new Mail with an Exchange server? Or getting screenshots of the Exchange account set up window? Thanks.

I'm curious if Mails Exchange support fully supports GAL browsing in AddressBook and if there is integration with iCal for the Exchange and Public calendars specifically.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

[B]Not that I condone the illegal download & install on an iPod hard drive of all devices, but is it possible to test the new Mail with an Exchange server?

First off, I who said I downloaded it illegally? What makes you believe I would do someting like that?

Next, I have never used Exchange for any reasons...

Quote:

Or getting screenshots of the Exchange account set up window? Thanks.

Check your PMs in a few minutes...

Quote:

I'm curious if Mails Exchange support fully supports GAL browsing in AddressBook and if there is integration with iCal for the Exchange and Public calendars specifically.

Erm.... I´ll have a look on this...
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Denmaru

6) Dashboard - Boy, you´ve got to see this in the final... it´s amazing. The only sign of it being a beta was the fact that I did not see the coregraphics effect of the apps "surfacing" on your screen - I wonder why, because I saw betas doing this already (Remember the WWDC beta?)

Your iBook have no support for the programmable shaders that CoreImage uses for the ripple effect in Dashboard. This is something that's not fixable in software but a lack of fuctionality in your GPU so you won't see the ripple in the finalized version of Tiger.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Ah... thanks for telling me, I wonder what kid of hardware is required in order to view this? A 64MB Graphics card? Or just a better GPU than the one in the Rage Mobility?
  • Reply 5 of 29
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Ah... thanks for telling me, I wonder what kid of hardware is required in order to view this? A 64MB Graphics card? Or just a better GPU than the one in the Rage Mobility?

It pretty clearly lined out on Apple's Tiger pages under the Core Image section.

ATI Radeon 9800 XT, 9800 Pro, 9700 Pro, 9600 XT, 9600 Pro

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700, 9600

NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra

NVIDIA GeForceFX Go 5200, 5200 Ultra

I.e. No iBooks nor eMacs, but iMac G4 (1.25 GHz), iMac G5, Aluminium PowerBooks (late models) and Power Mac G5.

As I said before, this isn't something Apple can fix later since this technology relies on functionality inside the GPUs. They have to have programmable shader support. I think it's a shame that the recently updated iBooks doesn't have ha Core image capable GPU. The Mobility Radeon 9200 is pretty good, but in this respect a GeForceFX Go 5200 would have been quite a lot better.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Quote:

but maybe I should mention that I installed the system in my iPod, so....

Are you running Tiger off your iPod? Your going to fry your drive.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Henriok, thanks for pointing this out, and yes, it´s a shame - most buyers won´t believe that their iBook is not fit for the future in this aspect...

and cool gut: Why? I installed Tiger on my external Firewire HDD (=iPod) for the very reason to protect my main HDD...
  • Reply 8 of 29
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Henriok, thanks for pointing this out, and yes, it´s a shame - most buyers won´t believe that their iBook is not fit for the future in this aspect...

and cool gut: Why? I installed Tiger on my external Firewire HDD (=iPod) for the very reason to protect my main HDD...

I think what he means is that loading and using an OS is rough on a tiny hard drive like the one in the iPod. Personally i would invest in an inexpensive external hard drive.

And i totally forgot about Apple's Tiger preview, so sorry about insinuating that you had an illegal copy of the software. My bad!
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:

Because the small HD in an iPod was not designed for the constant spinning that an OS subjects it too. Does it get hot?
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Quote:

You may be protecting your main HD, but your gonna blow your iPod up. Especially with the amount disk access a beta OS produces.

The iPod is designed for short bursts of disk access and plays mostly from memory.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    I'm on my 5th pod as I use it as a normal HD including OS X Server. Only my original 5GB has survived as I only have music on it.

I can't be bothered with a full blown drive as the ipod is just too pratical due to its size. (My company still buys them for me as its only 1 every 6 months or so).

Dobby.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Quote:

First off, I who said I downloaded it illegally? What makes you believe I would do someting like that?

Next, I have never used Exchange for any reasons...

Check your PMs in a few minutes...

Erm.... I´ll have a look on this...

Can you send me Mail.app caps too? Id love to see the Exchange options in Mail. I hope 2.0 brings more PC/Exchange compatability in terms of the GAL, LDAP, MAPI(?), Webmail, and calendars...
  • Reply 13 of 29
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    this build is getting better, more stable, though apps crash all the time. If you use this on a laptop it has a beautiful option (on by default) to dim the backlight when idle or turn off the screen when idle. I LOVE this feature on my ibook. Really saves on battery and worry about my screen. Also in the airport menu option it lets you now "Disconnect from this network..." instead of having to turn on off or switch to another network. Battery menubar lets you switch between performance options without opening system preferences.

One of the coolier things in mail that really is useful...

Email yourself a bunch of photos (attachments or whatever) you will see a slideshow button appear in the email, click it to view the email pictures in a full screen slideshow :-)

I can post more about this later. Spotlight seems to still be halfass touch and go (buggy) even when full indexing is done it sometimes returns things in the search but not the next search for the exact same file. Strange...

It's getting better. Also in the finder view the sidebar, somehow I got part of the sidebar items, pictures, music and such to be listed in point 10 font right next to the other items in point 12 font. HOpefully I can make them all point 10 later on.

Cheers.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Don't run on iPod. :P Too many morons are running around doing beta builds on an iPod. Why don't you just buy a hard drive nearly the same size as the iPod that's firewire? It's really not good to do this to your iPod.

Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

I'm on my 5th pod as I use it as a normal HD including OS X Server. Only my original 5GB has survived as I only have music on it.

I can't be bothered with a full blown drive as the ipod is just too pratical due to its size. (My company still buys them for me as its only 1 every 6 months or so).

Dobby.

• Reply 15 of 29
    try this. show dashboard click and hold on a widget and press the key to make dash board go away. The widget will stay of the screen !

what joy!
  • Reply 16 of 29
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

As I said before, this isn't something Apple can fix later since this technology relies on functionality inside the GPUs. They have to have programmable shader support. I think it's a shame that the recently updated iBooks doesn't have ha Core image capable GPU. The Mobility Radeon 9200 is pretty good, but in this respect a GeForceFX Go 5200 would have been quite a lot better.

damn. i have a geforce4 titanium with 128 MB RAM that destroys nearly everything i feed it, yet it won't be able to do a cool full-screen ripple effect? grumble... can i purchase one of those cards and replace my geforce? i have a 4x agp slot in my dual g4.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

Don't run on iPod. :P Too many morons are running around doing beta builds on an iPod. Why don't you just buy a hard drive nearly the same size as the iPod that's firewire? It's really not good to do this to your iPod.

agreed. you can build your own 200+ GB firewire external drive that can tolerate the abuse for less than $150, if you look around (dealmac.com is your friend). and that's if you go for a case that isn't ugly.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

Ditto to anyone using their iPod to run an OS. For those that can afford a Tiger Preview (and the developer package required for it) you can afford an external drive. Even if not, they are not really expensive.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Has Quartz 2D gone "Extreme" yet like Apple has talked about? If so, do you notice any speedups or enhancements to the GUI in Tiger?
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

damn. i have a geforce4 titanium with 128 MB RAM [...] can i purchase one of those cards [CoreImage ready] and replace my geforce?

Yes. ATI has several offerings.