Airport Express - Network but no Airtunes...?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm a recent switcher (got my 12" iBook G4 w/ 80GB HD and BT just a week ago!) with a small problem. My AP Express doesn't seem to be working correctly. It might be the software that's the problem though but I don't know how to find out.

When I first installed AP Exp everything went smooth, wpa working - check, network/internet - check, airtunes - check. Then after a couple of days things went bad. Suddenly I had no network, neither did airtunes work.

When trying to reset the AP Exp and do a setup with the AP Exp manager it finds the AP the first time only so to speak. Ie when launching the manager it finds my base station and lets me do the setup (if I'm lucky) but after that the base station goes absent from my system. Trying the other "general" airport manager (the administrator tool) the same thing happens. As long as I don't do any setting changes after resetting the basestation it seems to work fine but after that neither the airport admin tool nor the ap expr can find the base station (the ap expr tool finds it at the first step but not later on in the setup process).

I do have network and internet working all the time but I can't do any setting changes after the first time and airtunes won't work at all. The very first time after resetting the base station airtunes seems to work but when trying to play I get some error about the speakers (they are powered speakers working flawlessly otherwise and they did work the first time I installed the ap expr) after that I get no airtunes button at the bottom right in itunes whatever I try to do.

I've also tried to reinstall and repairing permissions to no avail. Since it's a new computer I have installed several apps i needed together with osx updates and itunes 4.7. Could it be due to hardware fault? I really hope not. Someting fishy in the osx update maybe? The AP Exp seems to work alright otherwise. The led is orange without network, green with network and it resets as it should when doing a hard reset. Is there some way to completely clean my system of airport express files and do everything from the beginning? Since I'm a newbie to macs I'm not sure whhere to look for things.

Appreciate any help offered!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    blipblip Posts: 23member
    And all of a sudden it works...? What I did waas the following:

1. Repair permissions

2. Remove all network/basestation passwords in the keychain

3. Repair permissions

4. Reset airport exp

5. Repair guess what?

6. Restart computer

7. Run airport exp manager (after this step airtunes still won't work - no button in itunes)

8. Repair...

9. Restart

10. Try itunes again, voila! Airtunes works, finally!

Let's see how long it lasts this time