My iBook won't re-install the O/S

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a second-generation Tangerine G3 iBook which was giving me some problems recently with hanging while booting up. I had mentioned this problem here several months ago, and the consensus was that I probably had something wrong with the memory chip in my iBook.

Turns out, however, I don't have one in there at all, so I guess that can't be the problem.

Yesterday, I thought the solution might be to do a clean install. All my files are backed up on CD-ROM and another computer, so I wasn't worried about wiping the hard drive clean and starting over.

However, after running Disk First Aid (no issues) and re-initializing the hard drive, my iBook hangs about 1/3 of the way into the install. No message, no warning, nothing. It just hangs.

In addition, when I boot up off of the install disc, I have to make sure I turn off all extensions, or I'll get a system error that says "illegal instruction." What could that system error indicate?

So, what do I do? If I can't boot up from the install disc normally, and I can't complete the install of the O/S, what else can I do? Am I doing something wrong?

Any help you can provide would be most appreciated. Thanks.

GTSC

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    If you think it might be a hardware problem, go Google "Techtools Deluxe." It's a program that will analyze all your hardware and let you know what might be wrong. I think it comes with applecare.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Well, Disk First Aid found no problems with my hard drive. Since I don't have a memory chip installed, what else could it be?

I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't know for sure if it's a hardware problem.

GTSC
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Wait, what do you mean by memory chip? Are you talking about RAM?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Yes, I just discovered the RAM slot is empty, but my computer has worked perfectly up until recently.

GTSC
  • Reply 5 of 6
    What version of the operating system are you trying to install? Is the installer CD scratched?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

What version of the operating system are you trying to install? Is the installer CD scratched?

O/S 9.0. Nothing scratched as far as I can tell. It worked fine the last time I used it.

GTSC