Moving iTunes Library to new Mac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'd like to move my itunes library from my old b&w G3 to my new G5. Is there an easy way so I don't have to digitise all the songs back in - It seems like it should be simple - but I guess so am I because I can't work out how to do it! Thank you in advance for any help...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by skyjackers

I'd like to move my itunes library from my old b&w G3 to my new G5. Is there an easy way so I don't have to digitise all the songs back in - It seems like it should be simple - but I guess so am I because I can't work out how to do it! Thank you in advance for any help...

The simpliest way is to drag and copy your entire b&w G3 iTunes library to your new G5 one.

Afterward you do just open iTunes and select "ad to library". There will be a quick updating process, - taking a while, - there you go.

You should see all your songs and albums exactly the same way as it was on your previous G3 system.

best
  • Reply 2 of 6
    If you're moving them from your G3 you should deauthorize that computer. That option is under the Advanced menu. Also, if you just move your iTunes folder from the G3 to the G5, you won't have to "add to library" as they will already be there, along with your ratings (if you set any), playcount, and album art (again, if any). I've done this several times, and it's always worked like a charm. That's quite a jump, from a G3 to a G5. You must be one very happy camper!

Regards,

Marc
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Thanks for the info I'll give it a try tonight - I really didn't fancy digitising 30gb's of music again!

Yes it is a huge jump from my 400Mhz G3 to my Dual 2.5Ghz G5 I'm waiting for the 30" monitor to arrive, I think thats another big step from my single 17"!

Thanks again for the help...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by mslifkin

... if you just move your iTunes folder from the G3 to the G5, you won't have to "add to library" as they will already be there, ...

Hm, we will see
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Sorry this is another question which I meant to ask earlier. Is there a way to copy all the songs from my I-pod direct to the G5?

I have more songs on my I-pod than on the G3(hard disk too small) but now I'm on the G5 theres room for all the songs. I had been updating my I-pod manually and deleting them from the G3 but now I want to put the complete I-pod's content back on the G5.

Thanks again for any advice...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Yes, this is possible. You need a 3rd party program to do it. Google "Ollie's iPod Extractor." Thats what I use and it works great.