Wacom Graphire 3

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've searched posts and they came back kind of old...so I thought of the current drivers and so decided to ask. I am getting a powerbook for Christmas. My girlfriend asked me what I want...and I am really interested in this tablet (is that the right terminology) for although I am on Windows now, I plan to buy a Studio MX for I use it a lot with school stuff and my website as well. I thought having a pen to edit and draw and stuff would be really nice in pretty much the Fireworks MX environment (which says is supported by the drivers) and maybe the addition of Photo Elements, but not if I have something else that will work with which I plan to get. So, before I go gun-ho and say "yes, get me this" I wanted to know your all's reviews and comments you have on it. I am no graphics professional or plan to be, but think of webdesign as hobby of mine for my powerbook will be mainly for laying down tracks (I play jazz guitar) and schoolwork in college.

I know a lot of hardware confrontations with the powebook and sleeping...is that a problem with the Graphire 3, is it easily managaed and fixed? Could I use the wireless mouse that comes with it so I don't have to part from my 3-button mouse with windows? Or is it everything that the computer goes into sleep it will have problems finding the hardware?

As always...thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    IceCAD looks cool too.

It's only $50 (I'm not in it to get an illustrator's prize, just make things more realistic) but comes without the mouse (no biggie, it seems like the mouse with Graphire isn't good anyways) does anyone know if it will work with Fireworks and Flash?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

I've searched posts and they came back kind of old...so I thought of the current drivers and so decided to ask. I am getting a powerbook for Christmas. My girlfriend asked me what I want...and I am really interested in this tablet (is that the right terminology) for although I am on Windows now, I plan to buy a Studio MX for I use it a lot with school stuff and my website as well. I thought having a pen to edit and draw and stuff would be really nice in pretty much the Fireworks MX environment (which says is supported by the drivers) and maybe the addition of Photo Elements, but not if I have something else that will work with which I plan to get. So, before I go gun-ho and say "yes, get me this" I wanted to know your all's reviews and comments you have on it. I am no graphics professional or plan to be, but think of webdesign as hobby of mine for my powerbook will be mainly for laying down tracks (I play jazz guitar) and schoolwork in college.

I know a lot of hardware confrontations with the powebook and sleeping...is that a problem with the Graphire 3, is it easily managaed and fixed? Could I use the wireless mouse that comes with it so I don't have to part from my 3-button mouse with windows? Or is it everything that the computer goes into sleep it will have problems finding the hardware?

As always...thanks!

I use a Wacom Intuos 2 almost exclusively and have for years but not on a Powerbook. I am sure it would work wonderfully. I use the pen almost exclusively but the new Intuos 3 mouse has more buttons if you like mouse buttons.

For photos and web design I would suggest Adobe Photoshop CS. Student pricing is pretty good. The tablet and pen is wonderful with Photoshop. Your Powerbook will probably come with Apple's Garage Band. You'll love that too.

You are going to be doing a lot on a Powerbook which is fine. I would suggest you start saving for a G5 now. You're going to want one soon.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1douglask

You are going to be doing a lot on a Powerbook which is fine. I would suggest you start saving for a G5 now. You're going to want one soon.

Oh after college I plan to get a nice desktop setup with more stchuff for music and recording. ..drool.. until then a powerbook will do just fine. (as others have proved, and that's with only 1 GHz speed!)
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

Oh after college I plan to get a nice desktop setup with more stchuff for music and recording. ..drool.. until then a powerbook will do just fine. (as others have proved, and that's with only 1 GHz speed!)

You'd love the Wacom Intous 3!

Best of luck!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    dwsdws Posts: 108member
    A Wacom tablet works beautifully in Fireworks MX. I couldn't imagine life without either!

About Photoshop CS... As long as you're getting Fireworks, I think that this is overkill. Get Photoshop Elements if you want, but I'm finding that I use that less and less over the years.

PS

If it's still available, get the free Expression 3. E3 and a Wacom tablet make for incredible artistic expression (pun intended!).